Board wish list

Tinbendr

1. Attachments!!!! (Yes, I know it's a long shot. :)
  2. A 'Click to copy' shortcut button to copy copy within the CODE brackets.
  3. A dropdown in the Post a message frame for common phrases. Like reminding users to add CODE tags.
  4. Spliting of Excel questions forum to include a VBA specific group.

Thanks!

Keep up the good work!

And Add the Version of Office to Public profile text. You know, under Join Date, Location and Post count.

Most of these things have been discussed many, many times before (if you search the Board, you will find some of these old posts). The main thing to remember if that this Forum is not a custom-made website. It is a vBulletin board (see the bottom of the page). As such, there are limitations and we do not have free reign to do anything we want.

There is some level of customization available, but the issue that we have found in the past, the more customization we have, the more issues there are when it is time to "upgrade". In the past we have had issues with upgrades crashing the site due to customizations, so it was decided to keep customizations to an absolute bare minimum, with just the necessities.

To address a few of your points:

Attachments!!!! (Yes, I know it's a long shot.
This one has been debated back and forth over the years, but there has been a conscious decision made NOT to allow it. You can research the old postings if you would like to read about the reasons why.

Spliting of Excel questions forum to include a VBA specific group.
This has also been discussed. The main issue with this is many people asking the questions don't know if a solution requires VBA or not. There are many questions where people think the answer requires VBA because they are unaware of some function or feature that already does what they want. Or vice versa, people ask a question thinking the solution does not require VBA, when in fact it does.

a conscious decision made NOT to allow it
Then, not to flog a dead horse, I'll just say it much easier for helpers to help with a worksheet.

many people asking the questions don't know if a solution requires VBA
True. I see it all the time. It's more for people who KNOW they WANT a VBA solution to a question.

Thanks for your responses.

Then, not to flog a dead horse, I'll just say it much easier for helpers to help with a worksheet.
Not always. Most of us are active on other sites, and you very often see it makes people lazier. They will often post the spreadsheet with very little explanation of what the issue is (I see it all the time).

Also, other big reasons include bandwidth (especially when we try to keep internal costs down so we can keep this as a FREE forum), and security (people can upload VBA code which can be a security issue).

There are tools that allow people to post screen prints (HTML Maker, etc), and they can also upload to file sharing sites and post links (though many people are leery of downloading internet files regardless of where they are posted for security reasons).

It's more for people who KNOW they WANT a VBA solution to a question.
Another thing I have noticed on other forums is that if you give people too many options, they start double-posting (they aren't sure where it should go, so they post it both places). Also, you would get many people reporting posts saying that it is in the wrong forum (i.e. someone asked a question not realizing it would require VBA, and another person notes that it is in the wrong forum). All of our Moderators are volunteers, and we really don't wish to make things harder for them.

And Add the Version of Office to Public profile text.
I have seen that on other forums, and that's not a bad idea. I think it was brought up before a long time ago, and I cannot remember why it wasn't implemented (if it required Customization). I'll bring it up.

I have seen that on other forums, and that's not a bad idea. I think it was brought up before a long time ago, and I cannot remember why it wasn't implemented (if it required Customization). I'll bring it up.
I just found out that it requires Customization (which probably explains why we don't already have it, since it came up before).

You're a 'glass-half-empty' guy, aren't you. :D
Hardly! I am a realist who has been around internet forums for 13 years, and moderating for over 10 years! ;)

While all these discussions may be new to you, we have had these discussions time and time again over the years.
Trust me, everything has been pretty much discussed and analyzed to the nth degree, so there isn't much new under the sun here.

Like I said, if you are really interested, do some searches for some of the old discussions.

1. Attachments!!!!
That's a definite NO! from me - for reasons outlined by Joe and personal experience with forum questions where workbooks have been provided. Not having attachments is one of the reasons I post at this forum & rarely at others.

My feeling is that if you must post an attachment to ask a question or must have an attachment to answer one, then choose one of the many available forums that do allow such.

1. A 'Click to copy' shortcut button to copy copy within the CODE brackets.
Just so I don't sound completely negative, I'd go with this one.

It's more for people who KNOW they WANT a VBA solution to a question.
Like this one for example - ref thread title, posts #1 & #6 (& the poster at post #9)?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smckenzie2016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back