Book of Functions & Formulas

tsroque

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
I love my Excel books, but I wish there was a book that concentrated solely on formulas and functions for intermediate to advancd users, and then another for advanced to expert users which talks about merging different functions. A book that's like a dictionary/reference guide for Excel users. I would never claim to be an Excel Expert, but my skills are pretty advanced, so when I buy a new book, I don't need a refresher on toolbars and cell referencing. I only use 1/3 of the book, and feel like I'm wasting my money. Any sugestions from the Experts?

Love the site, and it's truly been extremely helpful in making my work easier.

Do you mean a smilie within the message like:

:)

Or a Post Icon at the bottom of the reply screen? (that results in the smilie in the title)

A smile within in the message, your first example

Arts

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
If you hit the Post Reply button (rather than the Quick Reply) then you should have the smilies available on the right-hand side of the screen. In Quick Reply, you can still use the text values that represent the smilies eg

: - ) (without spaces) for :)
; - ) for ;)
: - D for :biggrin:
: oops : for :oops:
etc

Upvote 0
If you hit the Post Reply button (rather than the Quick Reply) then you should have the smilies available on the right-hand side of the screen. In Quick Reply, you can still use the text values that represent the smilies eg

: - ) (without spaces) for :)
; - ) for ;)
: - D for :biggrin:
: oops : for :oops:
etc

I thought i was missing some thing they dont appear on the right of the screen,

shall do it the manual way...

Thanks
Arts

Upvote 0
Go to UserCP on the top menu bar>Edit Options (under Settings & Options)>Scroll down to "Miscellaneous Options" and ensure you have "Enhanced Interface" selected.

Upvote 0
Go to UserCP on the top menu bar>Edit Options (under Settings & Options)>Scroll down to "Miscellaneous Options" and ensure you have "Enhanced Interface" selected.

Right agian you were Sir Richard :)

Although now the cursor does seem to flash annoyingly more see if you can figure that out (You really dont have to incase you were thinking too)

Upvote 0
Richard

i was thinking the other day, going on from our conversation about Excel books, regarding Functions and Formulas etc.

Have you not thought about a writing a book of some sort on Excel ?

Upvote 0
A bit late on the books thing (I was away)...

I'd agree with Richard's list and probably add one or two others.

A less general VBA book but very useful if you deal with finance is
VBA For Modelers by S. Christian Albright. Among other things it has some good information on using VBA with the Solver. It starts off with a good basic intro to VBA and then runs through several case studies that show some really cool applications for VBA.

If you work with charts and graphs, try:
Excel Graphs by Walkenbach, or
Charts and Graphs for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 by Bill Jelen.

Denis

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi

Which (in your opinion) would be the better book to buy

Excl 2003 Power Programming with VBA
- By John Walkenbach

Excel VBA Programming for Dummies - by John Walkenbach

I am an absolute new comer to VBA and would like to learn.

I have also seen the book Excel 2007 formulas by John Walkenbach

but have noticed that the Excel 2003 formulas is consdierably cheaper (on a budget)

Is there much difference or would there be much difference if i was to learn from excel formulas 2003 and apply it to excel 2007 ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you done any programming before? If so, get the Power Programming. If not I would go with the Dummies book.

Practically everything in the 2003 formulas book will be applicable in 2007, but 2007 has a few additional functions which obviously won't appear in 2003. I made do with the 2002 version of the book for 3 years before I got the latest.

Upvote 0
Based on that i am of to spend....

if you were expecting an answer or may have been curious...No i have done no programming before.

Thank you for the response/advice

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gillmit

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back