Book of Functions

Redbox911

Hi everyone,

I recently came to realize many of my Excel difficulties could have been solved if I had a broader understanding of the different functions Excel offers. Is there a book that lists all of the functions with explanations and examples? I'm sure the veterans on this board know of a book or two like this. I would be extremely grateful for your help in pointing a few out to me. The beginner Excel books I have focus more on how to use Excel than actually going into the full range of functions offered.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hi

Excel 2007 Formulas by John Walkenbach is pretty good (I think there's a 2003 version too). I personally think that trawling this board and reviewing questions and answers will get you further than any book though. Actually trying to answer other's questions is even more valuable :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the recommendation, Richard!

If you look at my (admittedly few) posts, you'll see that I do make an effort to contribute back by answering what questions I can. I'm an amateur and that's why I'm looking for a good book with a full list of functions. I actually own one of Wallenbach's Dummies Excel books. It is good, but doesn't do a full listing of functions. I'll check out the one your recommended!

Upvote 0
There are not a lot of books out there strictly addressing functions (since you specifically mentioned functions).

I have "Microsoft Excel 2000 Functions In Practice" by Patrick Blattner, and it is a good book on functions. There are several other books that deal with formulas and functions.

Check out Amazon.com, it has a good listing of Excel books. Also a trip to your local Borders or B&N should result in a number of good XL books. When I want to buy an XL book, I look at Amazon.com, read the reviews (take them with a grain of salt), search inside the book, then make a decision about which book is best for me. You can then either buy the book through Amazon.com or at your local bookstore.

I realize the above book is for Excel 2000, but functions have remained pretty stable since Excel 2000. Where you access them has changed in XL 2007, but if you learn the basics of the function (even in XL 2000), you will still be able to use it in XL 2003 or XL 2007.

Hope this helped.

---dave

Upvote 0
Try this link from Peter Noneley's site

http://www.xlfdic.com/

It has a Free Downloadabe Workbook with over 150 functions, with well explained examples.

I use it quite a bit.

Harry

Upvote 0
I downloaded the XL file from Peter's site, but everytime I open it I receive an error message that says, "File error: data may have been lost." I deleted the file and downloaded it again from the site, but continue receiving the error message.

If I click OK on the error message box, it appears to open and work fine. Did anyone else encounter this same problem? Also, it will not work unless macros are enabled. I assume it is safe to enable macros in this file?

Also, is it safe to load the Analysis Toolpak?

Thanks,

dave

Upvote 0
Hi Dave

It's definitely safe to load the ATP - it ships with Microsoft Office so you shouldn't have any problems with it (other than #NAME? errors when it isn't installed of course ;)).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ricardo Souza

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back