Bootcamp vs. VMWare Fusion 6 vs. Parallels 9: Excel w/large data sets (250,000+ rows)

smileman

I tried using 2011 Excel on my 2013 retina 15" MacBook Pro (2.0GHz, 16GB RAM) and it quickly bogged down and became unusable with a spreadsheet containing 250,000+ rows.

I expect in the future I will work with even larger quantities of data and may push up against the Excel limit of a 1 million+ rows. But that is for another day and hopefully 2014 Office for Mac will be out next month.

In the meantime, I need to decide on whether to install Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 on my Mac via either Bootcamp, VMWare Fusion 6, or Parallels 9. I need maximum Excel performance.

I demoed Parallels 9 and while I didn't get a chance to test drive Excel I wasn't very impressed with how Parallels handled Windows. I have heard better about VMWare, and it does appear better from my initial impressions, but again haven't had a chance to try Excel as I don't want to install Office and use my key until I've made a decision (unless I can use the same Office key in VMWare, Parallels and Bootcamp? My understanding is that I am restricted to two installs?)

I've read that Bootcamp could perform the best of the three given that Windows runs native. However, I've also read that Apple hasn't done a thorough job updating the drivers and that things like the trackpad may not work, or work as well, as using a virtual machine. And then there are the other advantages of using a virtual machine, such as being able to to switch back to my Mac apps.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
If performance is key I would (and do) use BootCamp. I also wouldn't use 2013 - I'd use 2010 if you can. My experience of 2013 to date has been that pretty much everything seems to be slower.

Upvote 0
If performance is key I would (and do) use BootCamp. I also wouldn't use 2013 - I'd use 2010 if you can. My experience of 2013 to date has been that pretty much everything seems to be slower.

Thanks, that's helpful.

Interesting about 2010 - can anyone else confirm if 2010 Excel is better for large datasets? I did use 2010 Excel 32-bit on a Windows 7 desktop PC on the same spreadsheet with 250,000+ rows and it actually handled pretty well.

Now wondering if I should also be installing Windows 7 instead of 8 via bootcamp?

Upvote 0
I've found the performance of Win8.1 to be fine - I just don't like the interface, unless it's with a touch screen, so I stick to Win7 generally. If you have big data sets (I don't really regard 250k as that big), it's worth having a 64bit environment, especially if you want to use PowerPivot which seems, by most accounts, to be better in 64 bit than 32. Of course if you rely on non-standard controls, 64bit is out and if you use API calls you need to redo those to be compatible.

Edit: I should add that I do also use Fusion for VM work and it's great - it's only really when I need all available resources that I use BootCamp.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back