Excel365 way laggier for me than 2007 -- considerations?

d0rian

Office Version
  1. 365
I have a relatively large (8MB) workbook that pulls in tick-by-tick stock market data (hundreds of symbols at a time) via DDE API and runs a ton of formulas. I've optimized it as much as I can (no dynamic formulas, hardcoding wherever possible) and performance is passable but not great (3-5 second lag between when stock data changes in the broker's software and when it updates in my Excel sheet.)

I thought perhaps it would help to use the Excel in Office-365 instead of the 10+ year old Excel 2007. (I read about the differences, and it seemed like 365 was better for handling large data sets, and moreover I could use a 64-bit version on my 64-bit W10 machine, instead of the 32-bit Excel 2007, which it also seemed would be better for my heavy-lifting purposes.)

The results, however, were that 365 proved completely unusable for my file -- the lag was a complete non-starter...what was a frustrating-but-tolerable 3-5 seconds in Excel 2007 was 30+ seconds in 365 (and sometimes the data would appear to freeze and never update at all.) I guess all I'd like to know is:

1. Should there be significant performance benefits in using 365 vs 2007? (given what I've described re: my needs)
  2. Could any of the bad 365 performance be related to the fact that I created the workbook in 2007?...IOW, if I started with a blank 365 workbook and built everything in there, is there something about how Excel files are built/saved that would result in a natively-created file running much smoother than essentially a 'legacy' 2007 file being opened/run in 365?
  3. At the end of the day, I really just want to know if there's any purpose in continuing to flop around in 365 to try and achieve better performance, or whether it's perhaps well-known that even though it's a much newer release, older Excel versions are still much better/faster for certain kinds of files / operations?

TLDR: The workbook I created in Excel 2007 is laggy but tolerable. I tried it in Excel 365 where it's completely unusable...should I bother continuing to troubleshoot this 365 thing or not?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
I'm no authority on the matter, but I have at least something to contribute.

1. Yes, there are
significant performance benefits in using 365 vs prior versions - it's much faster. If you are on the Insider Fast track for 365 updates (and perhaps the Monthly Targeted track now too), the calculation engine has been altered significantly and is considerably faster and more efficient. These videos and subsequent ones in each channel illuminate some of the changes. [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmLu0vMRrGs[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jJMDGZpjSk

2. I have experienced problems using old files in 365. In fact I experimented with the idea by duplicating an old file from scratch in a new 365 workbook and it runs significantly faster than the old one. I don't know why that should be the case, but there it is.
[/FONT][/FONT]​
<strike></strike><strike></strike>
3. You can use 365 during any part of the day, not just the end. The new version is far superior, though I can't fully account for your performance lags. This tidbit caught my eye, so maybe the lag is temporary. [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/windows-insider-fast-speedy-lookup-in-excel/132a1545-240d-43ef-9e87-7fdee89940c1[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kon123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back