Bowling Secretary Spreadsheet

rlabonte68

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I am trying to create a spreadsheet that will calculate averages and handicap. Bowl 3 games per week with an average each week, so an average after 3 games, 6 games and so forth. Handicap is calculated as such, 90% of 190. You subtract their average from 190 then times .9. I also need the handicap result to round down if decimal is .5 or lower and round up if over .5.

I am trying to create a spreadsheet that will calculate averages and handicap. Bowl 3 games per week with an average each week, so an average after 3 games, 6 games and so forth. Handicap is calculated as such, 90% of 190. You subtract their average from 190 then times .9. I also need the handicap result to round down if decimal is .5 or lower and round up if over .5.
Whenever you calculate an average you MUST always round down. So is your average is 189.000001 your average is 189, and if your average is 189.9999999 then your average is 189 NOT 190.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
If you calculate your average and it is for example 189.0000001 then it is 189, in addition if you calculate your average and it is 189.99999999999 your average is 189. You MUST always round DOWN for your average. Below is the USBC rule in regards to averages. (This has always been this way, I have been bowling continuously since 1976 without missing a season of bowling and I have an Email from USBC confirming such.) I have enlarged and made the font red for you.

USBC - Rule 108a. How Determined A bowling average, including all substitute games, is determined by dividing the total number of pins credited to a bowler in one USBC league, by the number of games bowled in that league in a season. A substitute who later becomes a regular member (or vice versa) his/her average shall be continued. Extra pins or fractions must be disregarded in using averages for handicapping or classification purposes and shall be reduced to a percentage of a pin only for the purpose of deciding individual position standings in a league. Partial games and games bowled through the efforts of more than one player: 1. Cannot be used in determining a bowler’s average, unless league rules require the secretary to maintain averages based on the actual frames bowled by each player. 2. Shall not qualify for league or USBC individual awards. (Team & Individual Average Record sheets can be found on BOWL.com.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
But who or what is USBC?
You posted to a 1 year old thread saying how the average should be calculated with no explanation and that calculation was not a standard rule.
Hence I asked for more information.

Upvote 0
USBC is United States Bowling Congress. It is the governing organization for bowling leagues. The USBC rule book is online

Upvote 0
Thanks you, it would have helped if you had stated all that right at the beginning, as that is an odd way of doing averages.

Upvote 0
In addition, if you do round up, you as the league secretary (assuming this is a Sanctioned League thru USBC) you are violating Rule 108a for averages being reported to the USBC.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehboobahmad

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back