Looking for IF statement formula

JTL9161

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to create a spreadsheet that will tabulate the dollar amount a golfer would win in a league using the Skins format.

I already have a spreadsheet that lists each golfer score per hole then, I have it calulate the net difference between the 2 golfers per hole. The net is a result of an handicap (if needed) being assed on a golfer. For example Golfer A's handicap is a 10 and Golfer B's handicap is a 11 that means golfer B will get a stroke deduction one hole. So, if golfer A gets a 4 and golfer B gets a 5 then they halve or tie the hole with a score of 4.

I am now on a different spreadsheet I am looking for an IF statement (i think) that would look at the net difference per hole and reward $1 to the golfer with the lowest score on that hole. Now if the net score on a hole ties the hole I need that $1 to carry over to the next hole making it worth $2, and so on so on until there is a distict winner on a hole thus winning the carried over amount. For example, Golfer A and B tie the first 3 holes so now hole for is worth $4 ($3 carried over and $1 for the actual value of the hole) If Golfer A wins the hole by a score of 4 to 5 the net difference is -1 and Golfer A wins the $4. Then hole #5 starts over and is worth $1. If a tie runs through till the 9th hole then that money stays in the pot and no one wins it.

Please suggest how I can accomplish this. My spreadsheet to calculate the Skins won is a mirror of the one that shows the scores and differences per hole. Here is an example:
For the sake of the example lets say that both golfers have the same handicap so no strokes are awarded.

GOLFER A SCORES 5 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 5
GOLFER B SCORES 6 - 6 - 4 - 4 - 5 - 5 - 3 - 4 - 5
Difference -1 -1 0 -1 +1 0 +1 -1 0

In this example Golfer A wins holes 1,2,4 & 8. Golfer B wins holes 5 & 7. Holes 3,6 & 9 are ties or carryovers.

Total dollars won for Golfer A is $1 for hole 1 & 2 each, $2 for winning hole 4 (carryover from #3) and he wins $1 on hole #8 for a total won of $5
Golfer B wins dollars on holes #5 and wins $2 for winning hole #7 (carrryover from #6) for a total of $3. $1 dollar is left in the pot because of the tie on hole #9

Hope I explained this good enough to understand what I looking for. This is something new we are doing this year for our 32 man league and I need something that will clarfy each golfers winnings week to week.

Thank you in advance.
James

In that case do it like
Excel Formula:
=SUM(IF(B2:J2<B3:J3,0.5+B4:J4,0))+(J2<J3)*0.5

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
I'm not getting something. I have this in K2 =SUM(IF(B2:J2<B3:J3,0.5+B4:J4,0))+(J2<J3)*0.5 and this in K3 =SUM(IF(B2:J2>B3:J3,0.5+B4:J4,0))+(J2>J3)*0.5

Hole​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
GOLFER A​
5​
5​
3​
3​
4​
4​
2​
3​
4​
GOLFER B​
6​
6​
4​
4​
5​
5​
3​
4​
5​
Carryover​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​

Upvote 0
What do you expect to get?

Upvote 0
What do you expect to get?
Nevermind...sorry. I was looking at it and thought I had .25 instead of .50 Thanks again. Stay warm...wherever you are. 20 degrees and with wind 5 below. Staying in

Upvote 0
Glad it's sorted & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0
Hello again. Doing all possible testing I found if in a round of golf all the holes are tied (carryover on every hole) It give golfer B all the money when no money was won. Solution?

Upvote 0
Ok, for K2 use
Excel Formula:
=SUM(IF(B3:J3<B2:J2,0.5+B4:J4,0))+(J3<J2)*0.5

Upvote 0
Ok thanks. I doubt any round would end up that way but I had to test it.

Upvote 0
Last thing. I promise. I have a formula that tells me how much money is going to the pot, meaning for example the last hole is tied. Is there a (IF?) formula that can tell how many .50 carryovers are left (if any) and if the last hole was carried over? Example: hole 8 and 9 end up tied so that means $1.50 remains but that is only 2 carryovers, 1 50 cent carry over and 1 $1 carry over. Can I get the number 1 under a new cell named .50 carryover and the number 1 under a new cell named $1 carry over? Obviously hole 9 could be the only carryover so $1.00 would remain so .50 carryovers would be 0 and $1 carryover would be 1.

Remaining Balance .50 Carryover $1 carryover
$1.50 1 1

Upvote 0
As this is a totally different question, it needs a new thread.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back