Breaking out names and email addresses that are many reply alls in one column, without losing reference point

AtariBaby

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Mobile
  4. Web
I have a spreadsheet that looks like this. I exported it from Outlook.

Col A Names | Col B email | Col C Subject

The idea was to see what contacts to keep and what to delete, with the name and subject line helping the human who makes that decision.

The problem is the list contains many cells with multiple names and email addresses. I have wracked my brains and asked a lot of excel people:

How can I break those multiple items, separated by semicolons into one per cell, but still have a reference point to the subject line? And how do I also do the Names cell so it’s synchronous with the broken out email cells?

Whether Excel formulas or 3rd party app or tool, I just really want to solve this problem I’m stuck on.

Thanks for being here and for reading this!

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Can you provide some examples of what the data look like? You can use XL2BB to post the sample to the forum.

Upvote 0
Maybe I can do a quick mockup. the list contains personal information so maybe I can just make up a few rows

Upvote 0
Hi, would you permit me two issues?
Firstly, i hope you don’t mind, I’m on an iPad so I used a website for creating the bbcode. Secondly, i found formulas to obfuscate confidential info, but the names column comes out as email addresses. Would you do me a favor and pretend those name column cells with multiples separated by semicolons are actually first name last name, not email?

NameEmailSubject
son*****cengineering.comson*****cengineering.com5:30 tonight at A16? Ken
jma*****rm4inc.com;jmarx1@speakeasy.netjma*****rm4inc.com; jmar*****eakeasy.net7 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep, holds 300 bottles, brand is Le Cache
mark.radclif*****apiper.com;railski.baldy@gmail.commark.radclif*****apiper.com; railski.bal*****ail.comA book is coming your way
nknapi*****rthlink.netnknapi*****rthlink.netA book cover
b*****fwar.comb*****fwar.comA change
csalinasn*****ail.com;Jkcats210@gmail.comcsalinasn*****ail.com; Jkcats2*****ail.comA favor
daniel.juli*****le.edudaniel.juli*****le.eduA good articl
natew6*****ail.com;nwilcox1023@gmail.comnatew6*****ail.com; nwilcox10*****ail.comA message for Kurt
Groslyn.M.Burt*****c.eop.govGroslyn.M.Burt*****c.eop.govA neighbor with a question
bertcast*****l.combertcast*****l.comA Problem
customerhe*****onomist.comcustomerhe*****onomist.comA promising company
JGoldste*****b.com;MGallagher@svb.comJGoldste*****b.com; MGallagh*****b.comA question
john.kavanau*****norcal.comjohn.kavanau*****norcal.comA request
david.ly*****morgan.comdavid.ly*****morgan.comA session with your students
adkinsj*****u.edu;gatsbykjg@gmail.comadkinsj*****u.edu; gatsbyk*****ail.comA small favor
mselfrid*****rstrepublic.commselfrid*****rstrepublic.coma submission
op*****times.comop*****times.comA virtual gala
alfred.c*****meicapital.com;alfred@alfredchu.comalfred.c*****meicapital.com; alfr*****fredchu.comA virtual gala
nicholaslfull*****ail.comnicholaslfull*****ail.comAdditions to the B&F Committee
fffn*****l.com;jxu@asianart.org;nperrone@asianart.orgfffn*****l.com; j*****ianart.org; nperro*****ianart.orgAdvice
Liu*****db.comLiu*****db.comAileen, is this still a valid email address

Upvote 0
This is ok. I'm re-reading your original post and comparing it to the data you provided, I'm not clear on what the desired the result is. Can you show a manual example of the expected output as well?

Upvote 0
This is the condensed version.
Excel Formula:
=LET(names,TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("|",,A2:A22),";","|",,,""),
name_ct,BYROW(names,LAMBDA(r,SUM(--(r<>"")))),
email,TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("|",,B2:B22),";","|",,,""),
email_ct,BYROW(email,LAMBDA(r,SUM(--(r<>"")))),
arr,MAKEARRAY(ROWS(names),MAX(name_ct*email_ct),LAMBDA(r,c,INDEX(names,r,ROUNDUP(c/3,0))&"|"&INDEX(email,r,MOD(c-1,3)+1)&"|"&INDEX(C2:C22,r))),
ts,TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("%",,TOCOL(arr)),"|","%"),
FILTER(ts,((CHOOSECOLS(ts,1)<>"")*(CHOOSECOLS(ts,2)<>""))))

Upvote 0
Some adjustments
Excel Formula:
=LET(names,TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("|",,A2:A22),";","|",,,""),
name_ct,MAX(BYROW(names,LAMBDA(r,SUM(--(r<>""))))),
email,TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("|",,B2:B22),";","|",,,""),
email_ct,MAX(BYROW(email,LAMBDA(r,SUM(--(r<>""))))),
arr,MAKEARRAY(ROWS(names),name_ct*email_ct,
LAMBDA(r,c,INDEX(names,r,ROUNDUP(c/name_ct,0))&"|"&INDEX(email,r,MOD(c-1,email_ct)+1)&"|"&INDEX(C2:C22,r))),
ts,TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("%",,TOCOL(arr)),"|","%"),
UNIQUE(FILTER(ts,((CHOOSECOLS(ts,1)<>"")*(CHOOSECOLS(ts,2)<>"")))))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is ok. I'm re-reading your original post and comparing it to the data you provided, I'm not clear on what the desired the result is. Can you show a manual example of the expected output as well?
Sorry if I’m being vague! Maybe I should try what you’ve made first, then I can show how I’d like that.

Upvote 0
hi this is what i got when i tried your formula. i get this a lot.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-18 100449.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-18 100449.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
It returns an array, don't need to need drag it down.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcschafer209

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back