Breaking out names and email addresses that are many reply alls in one column, without losing reference point

AtariBaby

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Mobile
  4. Web
I have a spreadsheet that looks like this. I exported it from Outlook.

Col A Names | Col B email | Col C Subject

The idea was to see what contacts to keep and what to delete, with the name and subject line helping the human who makes that decision.

The problem is the list contains many cells with multiple names and email addresses. I have wracked my brains and asked a lot of excel people:

How can I break those multiple items, separated by semicolons into one per cell, but still have a reference point to the subject line? And how do I also do the Names cell so it’s synchronous with the broken out email cells?

Whether Excel formulas or 3rd party app or tool, I just really want to solve this problem I’m stuck on.

Thanks for being here and for reading this!

I know @Cubist has put quite a bit of time into this and is quite capable of providing VBA so perhaps that was ruled out at some point but just in case, here is a VBA option.
It assumes that your data sheet is the active sheet when you run it and it will create a new sheet with the output.

VBA Code:
Sub ReorientEmailAddresses()

Dim shtSrc As Worksheet, shtOut As Worksheet
    Dim rowLast As Long
    Dim rngSrc As Range
    Dim arrSrc As Variant, arrName As Variant, arrEmail As Variant
    Dim arrOut() As Variant, hdgOut As Variant
    Dim i As Long, j As Long, iOut As Long
    Dim cntName As Long, cntEmail As Long, cntMax As Long
    Dim idxSubject As Long, Subject As String
    Dim idxDetail As Long, sName As String, sEmail As String

Set shtSrc = ActiveSheet                ' <--- Ideally use the sheet name Worksheets("Sheet_Name")
    With shtSrc
        rowLast = .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
        Set rngSrc = .Range(.Cells(2, "A"), .Cells(rowLast, 3))
        arrSrc = rngSrc.Value
    End With

hdgOut = Array("No", "Subject", "Name", "Email", "Item No")

ReDim arrOut(1 To 100000, 1 To UBound(arrSrc, 2) + 2)
    For i = 1 To UBound(arrSrc)
        idxSubject = i
        Subject = arrSrc(i, 3)

arrName = Split(arrSrc(i, 1), ";")
        arrEmail = Split(arrSrc(i, 2), ";")
        cntName = UBound(arrName)
        cntEmail = UBound(arrEmail)
        cntMax = cntName
        If cntMax < cntEmail Then cntMax = cntEmail

For j = 0 To cntMax
            sName = ""
            sEmail = ""
            If j <= cntName Then
                sName = Trim(arrName(j))
            End If

If j <= cntEmail Then
                sEmail = Trim(arrEmail(j))
            End If

iOut = iOut + 1
            arrOut(iOut, 1) = idxSubject
            arrOut(iOut, 2) = Subject
            arrOut(iOut, 3) = sName
            arrOut(iOut, 4) = sEmail
            arrOut(iOut, 5) = j + 1
        Next j
    Next i

Set shtOut = Worksheets.Add(after:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count))
    With shtOut
        With .Range("A1")
            ' Headings
            .Resize(, UBound(hdgOut) + 1).Value = hdgOut
            .Resize(, UBound(hdgOut) + 1).Font.Bold = True
            ' Data
            .Offset(1).Resize(iOut, UBound(arrOut, 2)) = arrOut
            ' Format
            .Resize(, UBound(hdgOut) + 1).EntireColumn.AutoFit
        End With

End With
End Sub

Upvote 1
Solution

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
@Alex Blakenburg VBA is better for the OP as s/he has a lot of data. I'm not on my Windows machine so can't offer VBA. One thing to note the number of output rows of each entry is determined by the number of emails times the number of names. The OP has 2,000 entries so the output rows grow pretty quickly. I doubt 1 sheet will cut it. Another thing to consider is the file size. We didn't discuss if there's anything else in there already. The OP can provide more info regarding this matter. I don't have anything else to add here so I'll let you take over. :)

Upvote 0
I know @Cubist has put quite a bit of time into this and is quite capable of providing VBA so perhaps that was ruled out at some point but just in case, here is a VBA option.
It assumes that your data sheet is the active sheet when you run it and it will create a new sheet with the output.
Hi, @Alex Blakenburg I loved this! The only problem is, it gave me a list of numbers and the subject line, without the name and email. any idea what i might have done wrong?

Upvote 0
Can you give me a picture showing the row & column references, the headings and at least 1 row of data.
Also how many rows in your data set.

If you want to look from your end first how is your data different to this:
20240419 VBA Split 2 Columns AtariBaby v02 large data.xlsm
ABC
1NameEmailSubject
2John Brown; Tom JonesJbrown@gm.com; tomjones@ms.com5:30 tonight at A16? Ken
3Mary Jane Smith; Peter Green; Sam A Violetmary_smith@xx.com; pgreen@ms.com; av@gm.com7 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep, holds 300 bottles, brand is Le Cache
Raw Data (2)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Alex Blakenburg This might help. The names need to be cross-joined with the email. See the desired output.
Book1
ABCDEFG
1NameEmailSubjectNameEmailSubject
2John Brown; Tom JonesJbrown@gm.com; tomjones@ms.com5:30 tonight at A16? KenJohn BrownJbrown@gm.com5:30 tonight at A16? Ken
3Mary Jane Smith; Peter Green; Sam A Violetmary_smith@xx.com; pgreen@ms.com; av@gm.com7 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep, holds 300 bottles, brand is Le CacheJohn Brown tomjones@ms.com5:30 tonight at A16? Ken
4 Tom JonesJbrown@gm.com5:30 tonight at A16? Ken
5 Tom Jones tomjones@ms.com5:30 tonight at A16? Ken
6Mary Jane Smithmary_smith@xx.com7 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep, holds 300 bottles, brand is Le Cache
7Mary Jane Smith pgreen@ms.com7 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep, holds 300 bottles, brand is Le Cache
8Mary Jane Smith av@gm.com7 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep, holds 300 bottles, brand is Le Cache
9 Peter Greenmary_smith@xx.com7 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep, holds 300 bottles, brand is Le Cache
10 Peter Green pgreen@ms.com7 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep, holds 300 bottles, brand is Le Cache
11 Peter Green av@gm.com7 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep, holds 300 bottles, brand is Le Cache
12 Sam A Violetmary_smith@xx.com7 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep, holds 300 bottles, brand is Le Cache
13 Sam A Violet pgreen@ms.com7 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep, holds 300 bottles, brand is Le Cache
14 Sam A Violet av@gm.com7 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep, holds 300 bottles, brand is Le Cache
Sheet7
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2:G14E2=LET(names,TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("|",,A2:A3),";","|",,,""), name_ct,MAX(BYROW(names,LAMBDA(r,SUM(--(r<>""))))), email,TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("|",,B2:B3),";","|",,,""), email_ct,MAX(BYROW(email,LAMBDA(r,SUM(--(r<>""))))), arr,MAKEARRAY(ROWS(names),name_ct*email_ct, LAMBDA(r,c,INDEX(names,r,ROUNDUP(c/name_ct,0))&"|"&INDEX(email,r,MOD(c-1,email_ct)+1)&"|"&INDEX(C2:C3,r))), ts,TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("%",,TOCOL(arr,3)),"|","%"), u,UNIQUE(FILTER(ts,((CHOOSECOLS(ts,1)<>"")*(CHOOSECOLS(ts,2)<>"")))),u)
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Thanks @Cubist. Based on the word "synchronous" in post #1 I am not sure a cross join it what is required.
What I did do was to contain a mismatch in the number of names & email address on a single line to that subject so that it didn't throw everything below it out of alignment.

And how do I also do the Names cell so it’s synchronous with the broken out email cells?
@AtariBaby, please confirm that you are expecting on a single row, that name 1 is on the same line as email 1, name 2 the same line email 2 etc.

My output for the same data as in Post #35 is:

20240419 VBA Split 2 Columns AtariBaby v02 large data.xlsm
ABCDE
1NoSubjectNameEmailItem No
215:30 tonight at A16? KenJohn BrownJbrown@gm.com1
315:30 tonight at A16? KenTom Jonestomjones@ms.com2
427 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep, holds 300 bottles, brand is Le CacheMary Jane Smithmary_smith@xx.com1
527 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep, holds 300 bottles, brand is Le CachePeter Greenpgreen@ms.com2
627 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep, holds 300 bottles, brand is Le CacheSam A Violetav@gm.com3
Sheet2

Upvote 0
Hi, @Cubist I am not sure why my outcome was different but I’ll endeavor to answer your questions in a moment. Also forgive me if I choose poor wording in my OP.

Ideally, I’d like the output to be
Name1, Email1, Subject1
Name2, Email2, Subject1
Name3, Email3, Subject1
Name1,Email1, Subject2
Name2, Email2, Subject2

Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
Hi @Alex Blakenburg , Your script is working when I do a small set like this! (i muddled the names and email addresses for this example). But if I do the entire rows, I get an output of
column1
sequential number
column2
subject line

my data looks like this:

NameEmailSubject
mick@ldldlcoin.com;mick asdmick@ldldlcoin.com;rangeoflight@gldldll.commick, I’m falling asleep. Can we change our call to 7:00 am (10:00 pm your time) please. I’m going to bed.
mick@ldldlcoin.com;Bruce blerpmick@ldldlcoin.com;Bblerp@svb.commick, please contact Bruce blerp (see above) regarding block chain. He is expecting you.
mick@ldldlcoin.com;wave Jonesmick@ldldlcoin.com;djones@spd-nowhere.commick, please wave Jones (eldldll address above). He is expecting you. Ken
ajm@notinc.comajm@notinc.commick, thanks so much for sending me another copy of the book. I will put it to good use. Ken
Dar, Jul;Jai Ramsddlius@gmail.com;jaitdms@icloud.comAll set for Monday?

Ideally the rows would be name, email, subject but i will gladly accept the columns in any order!

I have no idea why it breaks when I do the entire thing.

I tried doing 1000 and it broke as described. I deleted everything after row 300 and ran it again and got the same undesired result, a column of sequential numbers and a subject line

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PressEscape

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back