Calculate monthly pay from table, with pay changes

skiumah

Hello all, first post.

I would like to calculate monthly gross pay from a lookup table which may contain one or more changes in pay during a given month. The formula should not assume a given number of changes, or the month during which they occur. Here is an example pay table I would like to use (with fictitious amounts):

Pay Effective DateAmount
1/1/2013$1000.00
6/1/2013$1500.00
6/15/2013$2000.00
6/18/2013$2500.00

<tbody>
</tbody>

Pay changes may occur in the middle of the month as a result of years of service, promotion, cost of living adjustments, etc.

For this example, monthly gross pay for 2013 would be:

January 2013 through May 2013: $1000.00
June 2013: (14/30)*1500 + (3/30)*2000 + (13/30)*2500
July 2013 through December 2013: $2500.00

The above assumes a 30-day month. I am not sure if my payroll uses a 30 divisor for every month or if they calculate the number of days "correctly"--everywhere I can find such an example so far, it has occurred in June.

I am generally familiar with the vlookup command, but I am not sure how (or if) to apply it in this type of situation, one in which the month of concern is June 2013 and there are a non-predefined number of changes occurring during that month (i.e., there are years in which pay does not change on June 18, and I would prefer to have no entry for June 18 for those years).

In a subsequent step I am able to use vlookup to calculate the correct federal income tax withholding, as long as monthly gross income is calculated with the formulas above. But I cannot think of a formula that does this based solely on a month-year input and the sample "Pay Effective Date" table.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Updates:

- Payroll does indeed use a standard 30-day work month as far as I can tell from some 31-day month examples (I couldn't find any examples in February, though), so I do not need to dynamically calculate the number of days in a given month.

- This may be self-evident from the example, but =VLOOKUP(inputDate,array,2) returns the correct monthly Amount value unless there are one or more pay changes in the middle of a given month. I am trying to think of a way to set up an INDEX/MATCH structure inside a conditional statement, in order to capture these instances and correctly calculate the x/30 amounts, but perhaps there is a more elegant way to do this.

Upvote 0
AB
01/01/2013

<tbody>
</tbody>
01/01/2013

<tbody>
</tbody>
06/01/2013

<tbody>
</tbody>
15/06/2013

<tbody>
</tbody>
18/06/2013

<tbody>
</tbody>
30/06/2013

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

If you your data arranged like this the next formula will give you the total salary from January to June:
=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A6-A1:A5)*((B1:B5)/30))

Upvote 0
Thanks, that gives me some ideas to work with, but I am trying to calculate the total for each individual month separately. So for June I would have to incorporate a conditional statement somehow, without "hard-coding" which cells are added.

Upvote 0
Thanks, that gives me some ideas to work with, but I am trying to calculate the total for each individual month separately. So for June I would have to incorporate a conditional statement somehow, without "hard-coding" which cells are added.
If you have your dates and amounts in A2:B5, and the start date of the month in B6 then you can write in C1 the formula:
=INDEX(B$2:B$5,MATCH(B$7+ROW()-1,A$2:A$5))/30
Drag it 30 rows down and you will have the salary for each day of the month. sum it and you get the total salary for the month

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikijon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back