Calculating a Fiscal Week

Eaglboy1

Hey guys,

I'm trying to come up with a formula that will calculate the fiscal week based on today's date, but I'm having a hard time with it because my company uses a strange fiscal start date. Our fiscal year starts on the Sunday before the first Wednesday that falls in February. For example, fiscal week 1 for 2016 started on 1/31/2016, 2017 starts on 1/29/17, and 2018 starts on 1/28/2018. Any ideas on how I could make this work or is it a lost cause?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Er . . . for 2018, IF 28th Jan is a Sunday (I haven't checked), then 31st Jan must be a Wednesday, then 7th Feb must be a Wednesday, and 4th Feb must be a Sunday.

So why doesn't fiscal 2018 start on 4th Feb ?

Upvote 0
You know what, now that you say that, you're correct. I misread the way my company does fiscal years. Lol. Those fiscal year dates I gave are correct though. So I guess the fiscal year starts the Sunday of the week that Feb 1st falls in. My apologies!

Upvote 0
OK . . . so can we express the rule like this . . .

Fiscal year starts on Feb 1st if that is a Sunday, and if it's not a Sunday, then fiscal year starts on the last Sunday in January ?

Upvote 0
Yes sir. I would say that's about as accurate as we can get on it. Thanks for working with me on this.

Upvote 0
OK cool, so now we know the rule for determining the date of the start of your fiscal year.

Can I just check, what exactly is the problem you need to solve ?

Is it about being given some random date, and having to work out what was the start of the fiscal year for that random date ?

Upvote 0
Honestly, I'm just trying to set up a formula that will allow me to use today's date to figure out what the fiscal week is. Meaning today is week 51 of the fiscal year and I have a hard time remembering that. I'm almost ALWAYS working in Excel, so it would be helpful to just have a running formula that tells me what week it is any time I need it.

So I'm hoping to find one that will use today's date and spit out what the current fiscal week is.

Upvote 0
OK I need to think about this a bit.

I'm sure this is do-able, but I can't think of a quick and easy way.

I can think of a long-winded way . . .

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VBquery757

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back