Formula to determine if date is in current fiscal year (fiscal year beginning in Aug)

seaottr

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I found formulas to calculate the fiscal year, but I'm trying to figure out a dynamic formula that will calculate if a date is within the current fiscal year (fiscal year for me starts in August).

For example, I would like the result to show the following for these dates (Today=12-22-2022):

03-15-2022 = No
07-31-2022 = No
08-01-2022 = Yes
01-02-2023 = Yes
06-17-2023 = Yes
08-04-2023 = No

I don't want to have to manually change the formula at the start of the next fiscal year (so I don't want the formula to be something like if date is between Aug 1, 2022 and July 31, 2023...and I don't want to use a lookup formula, as that still requires manual updates).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
How about
Excel Formula:
=IF(MEDIAN(A2,DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),8,1),DATE(YEAR(TODAY())+1,7,31))=A2,"Yes","No")

Upvote 0
How about
Excel Formula:
=IF(MEDIAN(A2,DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),8,1),DATE(YEAR(TODAY())+1,7,31))=A2,"Yes","No")
Thank you SO much for the quick solution Fluff!!! This works perfectly! I've never used the Median formula before...I don't quite understand the formula, but it works great! LOL!

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
How about
Excel Formula:
Hey Fluff...So, now that it's a new year, I actually found out that this formula doesn't actually work properly.

It's only showing "Yes" if the date is Aug 1, 2023 or later. The current fiscal year for me goes from Aug-Jul, so any date between Aug 1, 2022 and Jul 31, 2023 should show yes. And then when Aug 1, 2023 rolls around, any dates from then until July 31, 2024 should show "Yes".

Hopefully that makes sense?

Upvote 0
Ok, how about
Excel Formula:
=IF(MEDIAN(A2,DATE(YEAR(TODAY())-1,8,1),DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),7,31))=A2,"Yes","No")

Upvote 0
Ok, how about
Excel Formula:
=IF(MEDIAN(A2,DATE(YEAR(TODAY())-1,8,1),DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),7,31))=A2,"Yes","No")
No, that won't work unfortunately. When Aug 1, 2023 rolls around, it will show "Yes" for any dates between Aug 1, 2022 and Jul 31, 2023

I was able to come up with this formula, which isn't pretty, but works. Not sure if you have something simpler, but no worries if not:
=IF(MONTH(TODAY())>=8,IF(MEDIAN(A2,DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),8,1),DATE(YEAR(TODAY())+1,7,31))=A2,"Yes","No"),IF(MEDIAN(A2,DATE(YEAR(TODAY())-1,8,1),DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),7,31))=A2,"Yes","No"))

Upvote 0
Try
Excel Formula:
=IF(MEDIAN(A2,DATE(YEAR(TODAY())-(MONTH(TODAY())<8),8,1),DATE(YEAR(TODAY())+(MONTH(TODAY())>=8),7,31))=A2,"Yes","No")

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back