Calculating a mileage forecast

Cumbrianet

Just purchased a new car whose credit agreement is based around monthly miles use. The agreement is over 4 years, with a penalty for over mileage use. Bit stuck as to were to begin other than entering a monthly mileage use. Any ideas excel 365?
Trevor

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Are you wanting to compare your monthly miles vs 1/48th of your contract or something else?

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for your reply. I have an allowance of 10,000 miles per calendar year. So I want to both track my actual milage and based on that forecast my mileage for the year. E.g If since purchase to date I've travelled 950 miles what would be estimated mileage for 12 months mileage. Do i calculate an average daily mileage and multiply by 365. Could I create a table Column A date, B Mileage to-date, C average daily mileage to date, D Estimated mileage for year .

Seems I'm missing something?

Trevor

Upvote 0
Based on your stated goal to track mileage and project annual mileage, I would set up a spreadsheet with the following column headers:
Month, miles traveled, YTD miles, Projected Annual Mileage
The first two are straight data. YTD mileage formula in C2 would be
=SUM(C$2:C2)
I can picture several methods to estimate the projected mileage. You could, as you said, calculate a daily mileage and multiply by 365. My thought is that this data isn't very likely to be consistent or steady - one month you may take a vacation or during the summer you travel more on weekends. I think for projection purposes, you could take an AVERAGE of your monthly data and multiply that by 12 to project it out. Therefore, every month the projected mileage will change so I would use Col D to AVERAGE the Col B data and multiply by 12.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you would like a formula for Col D or can you figure it out yourself.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back