Calculating Age Help

DanielS95

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I work in the education sector, so I often need to calculate someones age at a specific point in time. I usually use the following formula; =INT(YEARFRAC(A2,DATE(YYYY,MM,DD)))

I have recently found an issue where someone who had a DOB of 01/09/2002 was returning as aged 18 on 31/08/2020, when in fact he is 17 - 1 day short of 18. In my job, that 1 day is vital and I have to show him as 17, not 18. Does anyone know of a way I can fix this formula or can suggest a different one entirely?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
=DATEDIF(Cell with DoB,cell with date you want to know age at,"y")
=DATEDIF(B1,C1,"y")
B1 = DoB
C2 = date required age

Upvote 0
I work in the education sector, so I often need to calculate someones age at a specific point in time. I usually use the following formula; =INT(YEARFRAC(A2,DATE(YYYY,MM,DD)))

I have recently found an issue where someone who had a DOB of 01/09/2002 was returning as aged 18 on 31/08/2020, when in fact he is 17 - 1 day short of 18. In my job, that 1 day is vital and I have to show him as 17, not 18. Does anyone know of a way I can fix this formula or can suggest a different one entirely?

Daniel, no matter what I tried I get 18. I think the problem is you have entered the 2 dates in different formats. Depending on where you are, I'll bet you just need to switch the month and day on 1 of the dates. If in the US, your Current Date should be entered as 08/31/2020 to match the way the birth date is entered.

Upvote 0
Hello!
etaf, ?.
Daniel, e.g. DATEDIF(A1, Today(), "y")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back