Calculating Pounds and Ounces

Outdoorsman80

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet to measure meat totals for chickens.
I record the weight of Breast, Legs and Tenders
File.xlsx
RSTUV
3PartPoundsOuncesBird TotalYear
Data

File.xlsx
RSTUV
287Hen Legs110.81.6752023
288Hen Breast10.51.031252023
289Hen Tender03.20.22023
290Rooster Legs15.81.36252023
291Rooster Breast0150.93752023
292Rooster Tender03.40.21252023
Data
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
U287:U292U287=S287 + T287/16

To explain the forumula, there's 16 ounces in a pound, so I add the pound cell plus the ounces cell then divide it by 16 to get the weight in pounds. The reason I do this is, some parts may not be a 1 pound 1.2 ounces, it could just be 14 ounces. In order to get a consistent number for the other formula, I convert it. So, above, Rooster Breast is only 15oz and that = .9375 pounds.

At the end of the season, I have a dashboard that calculates the totals of breast/tender, legs and all three.
File.xlsx
AB
45Broiler Breast/Tender Total2.38125
46Broiler Legs Total3.0375
47Broiler Meat Total5.41875
Dash
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B45B45=SUMIFS(tblBroilerTotalPerBird[Bird Total],tblBroilerTotalPerBird[Part], "*Breast", tblBroilerTotalPerBird[Year], "2023") + SUMIFS(tblBroilerTotalPerBird[Bird Total],tblBroilerTotalPerBird[Part], "*Tender", tblBroilerTotalPerBird[Year], "2023")
B46B46=+SUM(SUMIFS(tblBroilerTotalPerBird[Bird Total],tblBroilerTotalPerBird[Part], {"*Legs"}, tblBroilerTotalPerBird[Year],{"2023"}))
B47B47=+SUM(SUMIFS(tblBroilerTotalPerBird[Bird Total],tblBroilerTotalPerBird[Year],{"2023"}))

The Dash tab above, those totals are just in pounds, not pounds and ounces.

What I'm unsure of is my math... our scale measures the peice in pounds + ounce, so leg could be 1lb and 5.8 ounces. The U cell tries to combine that for a total, to make it easer on the dashboard formula for the totals. I thought that my formulas and math was right until I looked at this calculator. Am I going about this wrong?

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Excel has its own convert method, not sure if that will help:
Book1
ABC
1LbOzLb Decimal
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2C2=CONVERT(B2,"ozm","lbm")+A2

Upvote 0
I didn't know that, I implemented the formula for one entry and it's the same math. It doesn't really help me with the question though for the totals if the numbers are accurate on the dash.

Upvote 0
What exactly do you think is wrong?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if anything is wrong, I just came across that online calculator and am second guessing my self now.

Upvote 0
I can see nothing wrong with what you've done & have no idea what you keyed into that calculator to thing something is wrong.

Upvote 0
I think what is messing me up is that the calculator took 1lb 5.8oz and convert it to 1lb 5oz instead of converting it to just a pound figure such as 1.3625 pounds.

Upvote 0
Same here, was just looking and i can't see anything wrong.

Your dash has the same total as the table and the logic for producing the decimal pound in the table seems to be sound.

The calculator below might help more:
Pounds And Ounces Calculator

Although every part of me wanted to convert it to grams ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back