Can I automatically convert from text to number all over the workbook and autofill blanks until change in number

ghrek

Hi

I have a workbook that when downloaded downloads loads of data as text and I need to convert to number.

Issue is it don't download all as text and therefore only need the ones converting that need to. There is no set pattern as to where they are and they all over the workbook.

1) Is there anyway I can auto convert from text to values all over a worksheet?

3) When converted in columns A & B I have a value in lets say cell A1 and then a change of number in A89. What im trying to do is fill in all the blanks with the same number until a change of number and so on all the way down the page for both columns A & B

Any Ideas?

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
One issue is that your data doesn't allow for restricting the ranges you would need to format. Looping over all the cells with data can take some time but it seems to be your only choice. You can test this on a test workbook and see how long it takes. Maybe do it when you're prepared to go for lunch or coffee!
I'm a novice so maybe using 2 methods to find the range isn't ideal. I went this way because I discovered using Find omitted everything to the right of column F in my test sheet, because the last 3 cells in F are blank, so if you have that situation it probably would fail for you too. You can omit header rows by changing Cells(1,1) to Cells(row number,1).

VBA Code:
Sub FormatAsNumeric()
Dim rng As range, cel As range
Dim Lcol As Long, Lrow As Long

Lcol = Cells(1, Columns.count).End(xlToLeft).Column
Lrow = Cells.Find(What:="*", After:=range("A1"), LookAt:=xlPart, LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
         SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, MatchCase:=False).Row

Set rng = Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious)
If Not rng Is Nothing Then
   Set rng = range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(Lrow, Lcol))
End If

For Each cel In rng
    If Application.WorksheetFunction.IsNumber(cel) Then rng.NumberFormat = "General"
Next

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rehanahmadawan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back