Can VBA keep track of Total Row height???

Mister H

Hi All:

I was wondering if VBA or Excel has the capability to add and total Row Height or Pixels? For example I have my Rows set to a height of 14.25 (19 pixels). My Range that I am working with is A2:T41 for a TOTAL ACCUMULATED ROW HEIGHT of 570 (40 Rows X 14.25) and 760 Pixels (40 X 19).

What I would like to accomplish is that once the TOTAL ACCUMULATED ROW HEIGHT of my Range reaches 570 then Row 1 appears. If the TOTAL is less then 570 then Row 1 remains Hidden.

Does anyone know IF and HOW this can be done? I need this due to the fact that the Rows will Autosize and I need to have my header Row appear. I can't just Freeze Row 1 because my actual Headers are on Row 16.

Hope this makes sense and hope that someone has a solution.

Bye 4 Now,
Mark

need to change something on the line above then once they move Up 1 Row the Header Row dissappears.

Like I said you need to freeze the panes to some degree or another. I still don't understand though why you can't freeze it for row 16, which would also eliminate the need for a hidden row 1.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Hi Hotpepper:

I do have Row 1 Frozen but it is hidden. I guess I did not mention that before. Sorry about that. Once it is Unhidden it remains at the top (Frozen).

As for Freezing Row 16. If I do that then ALL the rowsabove are frozen as well. As you can see from my spredsheet this would only leave 1 or 2 Data Input Rows visible (row 17 and 18 in my screenshot). This would not allow the users enough room to work. There may be instances where a cheque is received but it will be split onto 5 or 6 lines. The user needs to see more of the Data Fields.

Maybe I am confused... Do you know of a way that Row 16 will Freeze at the Top and Rows 2 to 15 will dissappear off screen?

If that is the case then that would work because if Row 16 is at the Top then that leaves Rows 17 to 32 visible.

I hope that better explains it. :p

THANKS for ALL your efforts,
Mark :biggrin:

Upvote 0
If the user does not need to see the data in rows 2 through 15 in data entry, why not just put this part on a different sheet? Or barring that, why not hide rows 2-15 and just have a couple macros with shortcut keys to hide/unhide these rows?

Upvote 0
Like I said you need to freeze the panes to some degree or another
I am assuming he has a constant frozen pane at A2 (otherwise the code I offered him does nothing). Now as to why he can't have the pane frozen at A16 I cannot answer that logically, but he seems dead set that this will not help him... of course what do I know I am still trying to figure this out entirely.

need to change something on the line above then once they move Up 1 Row the Header Row dissappears.
Perhaps use of scrollrow might be beneficial (as default I used 2 here since I am not sure exactly what you would be looking for):
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim Rng As Range, Ce As Range, x As Single

Set Rng = Range("A2:A" & Target.Row)
For Each Ce In Rng
    x = Ce.RowHeight + x
Next Ce
ActiveSheet.Unprotect
If x < 727 Then ActiveWindow.ScrollRow = 2
Rows(1).Hidden = x < 727
ActiveSheet.Protect

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Hotpepper:

I know it is not designed the best. The macro thing may very well work to hide and unhide. For now I have implemented the code that Brian altered.

The users need to enter data in Rows 2 to 15 after that I guess it can be hidden.

I will look at all options a little later.

THANKS Again for your assitance and suggestions.

Have a GREAT night,
Mark :biggrin: :) :p

EDIT: As soon as I posted I got the e-mail notifying me Brian had replied as well as Hotpepper. THANKS Brian. I will check out your revised solution when I get home tonight. I am just heading out of the office. I will report back...

Upvote 0
Hotpepper's suggestion should be a simple implementation (simply hiding the data based on the row you are on instead of hiding/unhiding frozen header row that is put 2 times on a sheet).Again this will mostly depend on what is needed though.

Upvote 0
Unless I am missing what it is you want, which I could be, this code I posted above works. Did you try it?
I used the sheet you posted and the code I posted, if I changed row hights or not, and when I selected any range in the default view, no headder row is shown. If I extended the range selection beyond the default range, the headder row is shown. This code is dynamic and self adjusting, it does not require the use of pre-set values or dimentions. The moment you hard-code, any values that could change, you remove flexibility.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
'ThisWorkbook code module only!

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2").Activate
ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = True
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").EntireRow.Hidden = True
End Sub

'Sheet module code, like: Sheet1, only!

If Target.Row < ActiveWindow.VisibleRange.Rows.Count Then
Range("A1").EntireRow.Hidden = True
Else

Range("A1").EntireRow.Hidden = False
End If
End Sub

Now looking at your sheet I would set it so the portion above row 16 fills the view, like a form view. And if the user selects any other range beyond this then the view jumps, having row 16 as the new top row as a data view. This way the view flips or or the other: psudo-form or data, but not both.

Upvote 0
Hi Joe Was:

SORRY I did not reply earlier. I have not yet tried your solution as i have been on vacation for a few days. I just returned to work today and saw your reply so I thought I would update the post.

I will try out your solution and report back once I get my backlog of work caught up. :biggrin:

THANKS to everyone for your assistance...

Take Care,
Mark

Upvote 0
Hi Joe Was:

SORRY for the delay in getting back to you. I keep getting pulled in different directions...

Anyway, I just tried to implement the code you supllied but I am not getting any results? I can not get the hidden row to appear. I imagine I have left out a step.

I placed this one code in the Workbook:
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
'ThisWorkbook code module only!

Sheets("Input Sheet").Range("A2").Activate
ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = True
Sheets("Input Sheet").Range("A1").EntireRow.Hidden = True
End Sub

I placed this code in my Worksheet titled "Input Sheet":
Code:
'Sheet module code, like: Sheet1, only!

If Target.Row < ActiveWindow.VisibleRange.Rows.Count Then
Range("A1").EntireRow.Hidden = True
Else

Range("A1").EntireRow.Hidden = False
End If
End Sub

I then Saved It/Closed It and Re-Opened It, started scrolling down but I could not get Row 1 to magically appear? Did I leave out a step?

I am not certain what you mean by this:
I would set it so the portion above row 16 fills the view, like a form view. And if the user selects any other range beyond this then the view jumps, having row 16 as the new top row as a data view. This way the view flips or or the other: psudo-form or data, but not both.

Is there a set up step that I am supose to complete? THANKS for sticking with the Post Joe Was.

Bye 4 Now,
Mark :biggrin:

Upvote 0
The code works by utilizing the current view. So you need to set the Screen Zoom so only 15 rows show on the Screen. Then the code works!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back