Can you beat chat GPT on this question

Beau the dog

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I may not be asking Chat GPT the right question, or in the right way. So I'm going to try here, as this forum has always come up with the right answer!

One Sheet1 in cells A1:L1 I have - Jan-2023, feb-2023, Mar-2023 and so on up to Dec-2023.
On Sheet2 I have a list of training course titles in cells V5:AC5 (8 titles). starting 3 rows below that (ignore the two rows just beneath the course titles) are dates in which these course are completed, each row represents one member of staff. There are also future dates added, in which courses are booked.

The challenge is....underneath the month dates in sheet1, to have a list of all the future training course titles that are booked underneath the correct month and year in Sheet1

For example, May-2023 would look like the example below, as there are two OLAT courses booked, and one Daily Check course booked in May 2023
Dec-2023 would look like the below, as one First aid course and one manual handling course are booked in the future

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sheet1
Jan-2023Feb-2023Mar-2023Apr-2023May-2023Jun-2023Jul-2023Aug-2023Sep-2023Oct-2023Nov-2023Dec-2023
OLATFirst Aid
OLATManual handling
Daily checks

Sheet2
OLATDriver hoursFirst aidDaily checksManual handlingLoad SecurityLoCITYBridge Strikes
20/03/202120/03/2023
02/05/2023
11/05/2023
21/04/202314/12/202415/12/2023
10/08/202320/11/2023
15/05/2023

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Chatgpt has a tendency to invent plausible but untrue situations, I wouldn't trust what it offers me

1) I created on Sheet1, from B1 to the right, the sequence mmm-yyyy
B1 contains the date 1-jan-2023
C1 contains the formula=EDATE(B1,1) then copied to the right

2) Then copied the training courses in Sheet2 V5:AC100

3) Then I got the list of the Jan-2023 courses (no one) by setting in C3 the formula
Excel Formula:
=LET(Tutto,Sheet2!$V$5:$AC$100,Uno,IF((Tutto<>"")*(IFERROR(IF(YEAR(Tutto)>2020,TRUE,FALSE),FALSE)),COLUMN(Tutto)-COLUMN(INDEX(Tutto,1,1))+1&"#"&Tutto,""),Tuno,TEXTJOIN("|",TRUE,Uno),cCol,TEXTSPLIT(Tuno,"#","|"),inMese,FILTER(cCol,TEXT(INDEX(cCol,0,2),"yyyy-mm")=TEXT(B$1,"yyyy-mm")),IFERROR(INDEX(INDEX(Tutto,1,0),1,INDEX(inMese,0,1)),"--"))

3) Copy C3 to the right for as many headers you have in Row1

And got the following output

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1:N1C1=EDATE(B1,1)
B3:E3,G3:M3,F3:F5B3=LET(Tutto,Sheet2!$V$5:$AC$100,Uno,IF((Tutto<>"")*(IFERROR(IF(YEAR(Tutto)>2020,TRUE,FALSE),FALSE)),COLUMN(Tutto)-COLUMN(INDEX(Tutto,1,1))+1&"#"&Tutto,""),Tuno,TEXTJOIN("|",TRUE,Uno),cCol,TEXTSPLIT(Tuno,"#","|"),inMese,FILTER(cCol,TEXT(INDEX(cCol,0,2),"aaaa-mm")=TEXT(B$1,"aaaa-mm")),IFERROR(INDEX(INDEX(Tutto,1,0),1,INDEX(inMese,0,1)),"--"))

Upvote 0
Solution
Alternatively a VBA solution...
VBA Code:
Sub AssignCourse()

Dim ws1 As Worksheet: Set ws1 = Worksheets("Sheet1")
    Dim ws2 As Worksheet: Set ws2 = Worksheets("Sheet2")
    Dim arr, LC As Range
    Dim i As Long, col As Long, yr As Long, x As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    ws2.Activate
    Set LC = ws2.Cells(Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchOrder:=xlRows, _
      SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, LookIn:=xlFormulas).Row, _
      Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, _
      SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, LookIn:=xlFormulas).Column)
    yr = Format(ws1.Range("A1"), "yyyy")

For x = 0 To 7
        arr = ws2.Range(Cells(5, 22 + x), Cells(LC.Row, 22 + x))
        For i = 5 To LC.Row - 4
            If IsDate(arr(i, 1)) And Format(arr(i, 1), "yyyy") = yr Then
                col = Format(arr(i, 1), "mm")
                ws1.Cells(ws1.Cells(Rows.Count, col).End(xlUp).Row + 1, col) = arr(1, 1)
            End If
        Next
        Erase arr
    Next
    ws1.Activate
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Upvote 0
Chatgpt has a tendency to invent plausible but untrue situations, I wouldn't trust what it offers me

1) I created on Sheet1, from B1 to the right, the sequence mmm-yyyy
B1 contains the date 1-jan-2023
C1 contains the formula=EDATE(B1,1) then copied to the right

2) Then copied the training courses in Sheet2 V5:AC100

3) Then I got the list of the Jan-2023 courses (no one) by setting in C3 the formula
Excel Formula:
=LET(Tutto,Sheet2!$V$5:$AC$100,Uno,IF((Tutto<>"")*(IFERROR(IF(YEAR(Tutto)>2020,TRUE,FALSE),FALSE)),COLUMN(Tutto)-COLUMN(INDEX(Tutto,1,1))+1&"#"&Tutto,""),Tuno,TEXTJOIN("|",TRUE,Uno),cCol,TEXTSPLIT(Tuno,"#","|"),inMese,FILTER(cCol,TEXT(INDEX(cCol,0,2),"yyyy-mm")=TEXT(B$1,"yyyy-mm")),IFERROR(INDEX(INDEX(Tutto,1,0),1,INDEX(inMese,0,1)),"--"))

3) Copy C3 to the right for as many headers you have in Row1

And got the following output

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1:N1C1=EDATE(B1,1)
B3:E3,G3:M3,F3:F5B3=LET(Tutto,Sheet2!$V$5:$AC$100,Uno,IF((Tutto<>"")*(IFERROR(IF(YEAR(Tutto)>2020,TRUE,FALSE),FALSE)),COLUMN(Tutto)-COLUMN(INDEX(Tutto,1,1))+1&"#"&Tutto,""),Tuno,TEXTJOIN("|",TRUE,Uno),cCol,TEXTSPLIT(Tuno,"#","|"),inMese,FILTER(cCol,TEXT(INDEX(cCol,0,2),"aaaa-mm")=TEXT(B$1,"aaaa-mm")),IFERROR(INDEX(INDEX(Tutto,1,0),1,INDEX(inMese,0,1)),"--"))

Thank you, but when I enter the formula (which is way beyond my understanding!), I get one date back in the wrong column, rather than the course names, which isn't a future date?

Might it be the column formula within the formula? I have moved the location of the example below on Sheet1 to G5:R5 (Apologies!)

Jan-2023Feb-2023Mar-2023Apr-2023May-2023Jun-2023Jul-2023Aug-2023Sep-2023Oct-2023Nov-2023Dec-2023
--------20/03/2021------------0

Upvote 0
Alternatively a VBA solution...
VBA Code:
Sub AssignCourse()

Dim ws1 As Worksheet: Set ws1 = Worksheets("Sheet1")
    Dim ws2 As Worksheet: Set ws2 = Worksheets("Sheet2")
    Dim arr, LC As Range
    Dim i As Long, col As Long, yr As Long, x As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    ws2.Activate
    Set LC = ws2.Cells(Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchOrder:=xlRows, _
      SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, LookIn:=xlFormulas).Row, _
      Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, _
      SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, LookIn:=xlFormulas).Column)
    yr = Format(ws1.Range("A1"), "yyyy")

For x = 0 To 7
        arr = ws2.Range(Cells(5, 22 + x), Cells(LC.Row, 22 + x))
        For i = 5 To LC.Row - 4
            If IsDate(arr(i, 1)) And Format(arr(i, 1), "yyyy") = yr Then
                col = Format(arr(i, 1), "mm")
                ws1.Cells(ws1.Cells(Rows.Count, col).End(xlUp).Row + 1, col) = arr(1, 1)
            End If
        Next
        Erase arr
    Next
    ws1.Activate
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Thank you, trying to find a non-VBA solution as my work IT system disables VBA :confused:

Upvote 0
Can you attach an XL2BB view of your area, so I can see the formulas behind the values? Or share a sample workbook using a file share service, like dropbox, googledrive, onedrive and similar

Is "English" your Office language?

Upvote 0
i have been playing with chatgpt for a bout a month now - and also provided a solution and then tried various questions on chatgpt - not great answers - it covers a lot of the basic questions ok, but then anything else it gets wrong a lot , and if you question to try and get a better response , it tends to go around in a circle - thats for functions , apparently its not to bad with code , VBA etc
so for anything but the simplest questions , i have not got a correct solution yet, so the forums are better

Upvote 0
Can you attach an XL2BB view of your area, so I can see the formulas behind the values? Or share a sample workbook using a file share service, like dropbox, googledrive, onedrive and similar

Is "English" your Office language?
For some reason I can never get XL2BB on my excel, I can download, install, but cant get it on the ribbon...

I can file share?

Upvote 0
For sharing a test file you need to upload it on a filesharing service and then publish the link to access it

Upvote 0
For sharing a test file you need to upload it on a filesharing service and then publish the link to access it

I don't know why it has converted it to google sheets...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back