Can you conditional format cells with comments?

mona4

Board Regular
Hi Please can anyone tell me if it is possible to use conditional formatting on cells which have comments so that they change a specific colour depending on the comment.

Thanks
Mona

mona4 said:
Hi

Even though i change "ABC" to the text i need, it still doesnt highlight, i have checked over and over and nothing happens....

any other suggestions?

What is the actual formula you are using and what is in the comment text?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
This is an example of whats in the comment box- "91 rights issue,29/06/93 split, all other splits correct, splits resolved"

and the formula i am using is: =CommentText(A1,"splits resolved")

Upvote 0
I just tested it again.

I added a comment to cell A1 with the text "91 rights issue,29/06/93 split, all other splits correct, splits resolved". In A2 I added a comment with the text "91 rights issue,29/06/93 split, all other splits correct, splits not resolved". I selected A1:A2, chose Format|Conditional Formatting, Formula is =CommentText(A1,"splits resolved"), chose Format Patterns Red and clicked OK twice. A1 had a red fill pattern, A2 had no fill pattern.

So we must be doing something differently. What do you get if you enter:

=CommentText(A1,"splits resolved")

in a cell? I get TRUE (FALSE when applied to A2).

Upvote 0
i tested your example exactly into two cells as you did but nothing highlighted. When i put =CommentText(A1,"splits resolved") into a cell, it said #NAME?

Upvote 0
It will say #NAME? if the custom function is not in a General module in the workbook where you are trying to use it. Correct that and your conditional formatting should work.

Upvote 0
Sorry but what do you mean by a general module in the workbook? Where exactly would that be?

Upvote 0
As I said previously:

In case you don't know how to create a custom function ...

Press Alt+F11 to access the Visual Basic Editor. Click your workbook in the Project window and choose Insert|Module from the menu. Paste my code in the window on the right. Press Alt+F11 again to return to your workbook.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I repasted the code you gave me into VB Editor as you said, i also typed in the cells "=CommentText(A1,"splits resolved")" exactly as you had tested out before and both give FALSE.

None of the cells are still highlighting, i dont know what else to do, just to let u know, i do know advanced excel techniques but this one is really mind boggling, i have looked at what i might be doing wrong but it all seems fine

???

Upvote 0
Are you sure you actually have a comment in A1 - ie Insert|Comment? As I said it works for me, so I am just wondering if there is a terminology issue here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sphere2215

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back