Platform
  1. Windows
=A3+(SUMPRODUCT(
((Sheet1!$B$2:$B$35=J4)*(Sheet1!$N$2:$N$35=E$4)*(Sheet1!$S$2:$S$35)*J5)+
((Sheet1!$B$2:$B$35=K4)*(Sheet1!$N$2:$N$35=E$4)*(Sheet1!$S$2:$S$35)*K5)+
((Sheet1!$B$2:$B$35=L4)*(Sheet1!$N$2:$N$35=E$4)*(Sheet1!$S$2:$S$35)*L5)+
((Sheet1!$B$2:$B$35=M4)*(Sheet1!$N$2:$N$35=E$4)*(Sheet1!$S$2:$S$35)*M5)+
((Sheet1!$B$2:$B$35=N4)*(Sheet1!$N$2:$N$35=E$4)*(Sheet1!$S$2:$S$35)*N5)+
((Sheet1!$B$2:$B$35=O4)*(Sheet1!$N$2:$N$35=E$4)*(Sheet1!$S$2:$S$35)*O5)))

This is entered into A4, and copied down. It's actually a lot longer than this. I can turn 3 of the components above into named ranges. It looks like I can turn J4-O4 and J5-O5 into ranges as well, but when I try to I get errors.

Any options on how to shorten this formula?

Rick

Aren't they necessary to repeat the calculations n times? Alternatively i thought in inserting the formulas in n rows, but i considered the method above was better.
Am i wrong?

M.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Rick

Aren't they necessary to repeat the calculations n times? Alternatively i thought in inserting the formulas in n rows, but i considered the method above was better.
Am i wrong?
Oh, I see what you are doing. Uh, I don't know if that will work the way you want or not (I don't know much about the underpinnings of Excel... I am mainly an ordinary programmer who learned the Excel object model, not an actual Excel user per se). Will a formula whose referenced cells that are not "dirty" recalculate anyway? By the way (not sure if it matters or not), Application.Calculate calculates all open workbooks (although the help file does say, I presume that means all sheets within the current and any other workbooks)... you can focus the Calculate down to a sheet or range level by referencing a specific sheet or specific range object instead of referencing Application. Of course, I still do not know the answer to the "dirty" cell question I posed above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh, I see what you are doing. Uh, I don't know if that will work the way you want or not (I don't know much about the underpinnings of Excel... I am mainly an ordinary programmer who learned the Excel object model, not an actual Excel user per se). Will a formula whose referenced cells that are not "dirty" recalculate anyway? By the way (not sure if it matters or not), Application.Calculate calculates all open workbooks (although the help file does say, I presume that means all sheets within the current and any other workbooks)... you can focus the Calculate down to a sheet or range level by referencing a specific sheet or specific range object instead of referencing Application. Of course, I still do not know the answer to the "dirty" cell question I posed above.

I was careful when running the code - just one workbook open and no more formulas in any sheet. I *think* it works because if you decrease n from 100K to, say, 10K the processing times decrease significantly.

For example, with n=10K, rather than 100K i got
Rick's = 0,2578125
Mine = 0,2421875
Eric's = 0,23828125

M.

Upvote 0
I knew that the .Calculate loop has issues, but I thought it would at least provide some data. However, Rick's question about the dirty cells has me wondering. I closed down all workbooks and opened a blank sheet and ran the calculate loop with no formulas on the sheet at all. Then I put some heavy-duty formulas in and ran it again, and the times were very nearly identical.

I then changed the code to make the range dirty like this:

Code:
Sub test1()
Dim i As Long, t As double

Application.Calculation = xlManual
    t = Timer
    For i = 1 To 100
        ActiveSheet.Calculate
        [a1].Value = Rnd()
    Next i
    Debug.Print Timer - t
    Application.Calculation = xlAutomatic

End Sub

and the times went way up. So that does give a possible way to get a rough relative time of formulas, but I have not tested it enough to tell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
However, Rick's question about the dirty cells has me wondering. I closed down all workbooks and opened a blank sheet and ran the calculate loop with no formulas on the sheet at all. Then I put some heavy-duty formulas in and ran it again, and the times were very nearly identical.

I then changed the code to make the range dirty like this:
<....code snipped....>
and the times went way up. So that does give a possible way to get a rough relative time of formulas, but I have not tested it enough to tell.
Hmm, so it looks like my hunch about dirty cells may have been correct.

Upvote 0
I didn't know about
Worksheets("MySheet").Calculates

Thanks for the tip :)
Calculate, not Calculates

And, according to the help files, you can focus it down to a specific range as well; for example...

Range("C3:E5").Calculate

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back