Cannot drag/drop fields in pivot table, can only right click to move them

Gingertrees

Strange problem with pivot tables. (Win 7 64-bit, Excel 2010.) I was trying to create pivot tables for a demo on said computer, and found that I cannot move the fields in my usual drag-and-drop way. Each field must be individually right clicked, and then must select "move to column" or "move to row" etc. Then from within the destination area, I must right click and choose "move up" or "move down" to reorder fields within the column/row/value/etc areas.

I've never seen this before, and it's a huge pain in the... neck. Ideas??

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
You have to have the Classic layout enabled in pivot table options to be able to drag fields around, but you should be able to move items up and down within a field.

Upvote 0
No, that's not what I mean. I mean on the right side - I can't drag fields from the "Choose fields to add to report" area to the "Drag fields between areas below" part. I can only check them or right click and choose "move to row" or "move to ___". Isn't that weird and messed up? Is there some setting that could be causing this?

Upvote 0
That is weird. Can you actually drag them but not drop them at the destination area, or not even drag them?

Upvote 0
Can't drag them. I can hover over the fields in the "Choose fields" area, but even when I click-hold to try to drag one, the cursor doesn't change from the 4-arrowed cross when I try to drop the field.

I can drag and drop e.g. windows and other things on this computer, just not in excel pivot tables.

Upvote 0
Well, after all this time I am sure you could make it, but for those who can eventually have the same problem (as happened to me today) here goes the instructions to enable drag-and-drop:

Excel Options / Advanced / Tick the third box - Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

That's not actually the same problem at all, though - this one related to not being able to drag pivot fields in the pivot table field list, not to dragging cells.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back