Cannot reset Application Calculation status to Automatic

ammage

Excel 2010 VBA

In order to make the code below run faster, I set the Application to manually calculate formulas. At the end of the code, I turn it back to automatic. However, in the status bar on the spreadsheet it still shows "Ready Calculate". When I hover over "Calculate" is says "Results of formulas may be out of date because Excel is not set to calculate automatically. Click here or press F9 to recalculate manually."

Also, Formulas --> Calculation --> Calculation Options is already set to Automatic.

I have tried executing Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic from the immediate window with no effect.

I cannot seem to turn the automatic calculation back on.

I saw in an earlier post a recommendation to review this cite: Excel Status Bar shows 'Calculate' - Decision Models. None of those conditions apply

Thanks in advance for any help

Code:
Sub OverlappingProps()

Dim cell As Object
  Dim cell2 As Object
  Dim iRows As Integer
  Dim iOR As Integer    'holds Overlap Replacement col value

Application.Calculation = xlManual

iRows = Range(Sheet3.Cells(3, 12), Sheet3.Cells(3, 12).End(xlDown)).Count

'Find "Overlap Replacement" col number
  iOR = 1
  For Each cell In Range(Sheet3.Cells(3, 140), Sheet3.Cells(3, 140).End(xlToRight))
    If cell.Value = "Overlap Replacement" Then
      iOR = cell.Column
    End If
  Next cell
  If iOR = 1 Then
    iOR = Application.InputBox("Select Overlap Replacement cell.", "Cannot find 'Overlap Replacement'", Type:=8).Column
  End If

'find and replace duplicate invoices
  For Each cell In Range(Sheet3.Cells(4, iOR), Sheet3.Cells(iRows, iOR)) 'column EL "Overlap Replacement"
    If InStr(1, LCase(cell), "overlap") > 0 Then
      'loop through row containing "overlap"
      For Each cell2 In Range(Sheet3.Cells(cell.Row, 22), Sheet3.Cells(cell.Row, iOR - 1)) 'range = row in the earn out table
        'if the cell > 0 and the cell above it is > 0 and the column heading is not "Total" then replace cell
        If cell2 > 0 And cell2.Offset(-1, 0) > 0 And InStr(1, Sheet3.Cells(3, cell2.Column), "Total") = 0 Then
          cell2 = 0
        End If
      Next cell2
    End If
  Next cell

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
End Sub

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
I'm wondering if the status bar is giving you bad info when the automatic calculations have actually turned back on?

Suggested test: After you run your macro and then if you change a precedent cell value that is used elsewhere in a formula, does that formula automatically update?

One other suggestion is to force a re-calculation after you turn on Automatic Calculation.
Code:
  Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
  [COLOR=#ff0000]Application.Calculate[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks AlphaFrog. I confirmed that the autocalculate feature was not active. Yes, I can add the application.calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic at the end of the code, but I would rather restore the application state to calculate automatically so I can continue working in the application without having to constantly hit F9 and without having to close and reopen the application in order to reset it to calculate automatically.

However, for some reason this code solved the issue??

Code:
Sub Main()
  Dim SaveCalculationStatus As String

SaveCalculationStatus = Application.Calculation
  Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

Call PasteValues
  Call OverlappingProps

Application.Calculation = SaveCalculationStatus

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back