psycoperl

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Web
I would like to have drop down options to ensure that only certain values are able to be selected in certain columns, where a value in on column filters options that appear for the next column.
While I know of using the List option in Data Validation, I have only ever used it for a static list and am having issues figuring how to filter options and also to only show unique values.

Working off of three sheets:
- Claims - This is my main sheet where I am trying to enter tracking data.
- InsurancePlanList - This is where a list of insurance plans types, and policy numbers
- ProviderListing - sheet that contains three columns - "Type" (Column A), "Facility" (Column B) and "Provider" (Column C)

In my Claims sheet (Rows 1 and 2 sheet heading info and Row 3 is the Column Headings)

In column C: "Claim Type" - I would like to have a drop-down list values are the unique list of "Type" (Column C) from the InsurancePlanList using a data validation list with the criteria =UNIQUE(InsurancePlanList!C2:C300,FALSE,TRUE) however I get an error that says "The Source currently evaluates to an error" where the lists do not show any values.

In Column D: "Insurance Plan" - I would like to have a drop-down list values of "PlanName" (Column A) from InsurancePlanList where the "Type" (Column C) matches the value selected in "Claim Type" (Claims!$C)

In Column F: "Facility" - I would like to have the drop-down list of values from ProviderListing!$B ("Facility") where ProviderListing!$A ("Type") matches the value selected in "Claim Type" (Claims!$C)

In Column G: "Provider" - I would like to have the drop-down list of values be from ProviderListing!$C ("Provider") where ProviderListing!$A ("Type") matches the value selected in "Claim Type" (Claims!$C) AND ProviderListing!$B ("Faciltiy") matches the value selected in "Facility" (Claims!$F)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to ensure that any solution works on Windows, Mac, Web and iPadOS Excel App if possible.

Claims Tracking.xlsx
ABCDEFG
3Record#Claim DateClaim TypeInsurance PlanPolicy NumberFacilityProvider
40012023-01-03 
50022023-01-04 
60032023-01-11 
Claims
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A4:A63A4=SEQUENCE(COUNT($B4:$B300),1,1,1)
E4:E6E4=IF(XLOOKUP(D4,InsurancePlanList!A:A,InsurancePlanList!B:B,"",0,1)=0,"",XLOOKUP(D4,InsurancePlanList!A:A,InsurancePlanList!B:B,"",0,1))
Dynamic array formulas.
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
C4:C230List=UNIQUE(InsurancePlanList!C2:C300,FALSE,TRUE)
D4:D230List=InsurancePlanList!$A$2:$A$32

Claims Tracking.xlsx
ABC
1PlanNamePolicy NumberType
2PLAN 1A1111Dental
3Plan2A2222Hospital
4PLAN3A3333Medical
5PLAN4A4444Pharmacy
6PLAN5A5555Pharmacy
7PLAN6A6666Pharmacy
8PLAN7A7777Vision
9PLAN8A8888Z_OTC
10PLAN9A9999Z_OTC
11PLAN10A11110Z_OTC
12PLAN11A12221Z_OTC
InsurancePlanList

Claims Tracking.xlsx
ABC
1TypeFacilityProvider
2Medical 01 Facilty John Provider
3Medical 02 FacilityMary Provider
4PharmacyCVSCVS 12345 - Main Street
5PharmacyRiteAidRite Aid 104654 - Knolls
6HospitalCity HospitalCity Hospital
ProviderListing

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
I haven't looked over your entire post, but I can see one issue. Data Validation does not like some of the new array functions. In particular, the UNIQUE function in the C4 cell won't work as entered. To do it, pick an empty cell somewhere, say Z1. Enter your UNIQUE function in Z1. Then in the Data Validation, put =Z1# as the source and that should work.

Upvote 0
Solution
I haven't looked over your entire post, but I can see one issue. Data Validation does not like some of the new array functions. In particular, the UNIQUE function in the C4 cell won't work as entered. To do it, pick an empty cell somewhere, say Z1. Enter your UNIQUE function in Z1. Then in the Data Validation, put =Z1# as the source and that should work.
That solved Column C - Thank you. (=UniqueLists!$A$1#)
Now the next fun step is how to filter the dropdown lists in the other column.

In Column D: "Insurance Plan" - I would like to have a drop-down list values of "PlanName" (Column A) from InsurancePlanList where the "Type" (Column C) matches the value selected in "Claim Type" (Claims!$C)

Upvote 0
That solved Column C - Thank you. (=UniqueLists!$A$1#)
Now the next fun step is how to filter the dropdown lists in the other column.

I was able to adapt your suggestion to create the dropdown lists for the other columns. Thank you

Claims Tracking.xlsx
ABCDEFG
3Record#Claim DateClaim TypeInsurance PlanPolicy NumberFacilityProvider
40012023-01-03
Claims
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A4A4=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([@[Claim Date]])),COUNT(B$4:B4),"")
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
C4:C233List=UniqueLists!$A$2#
D4:D16List=UniqueLists!$C$2#
F4List=UniqueLists!$E$2#
G4List=UniqueLists!$G$2#

Claims Tracking.xlsx
ABCDEFG
1Plan TypeInsurance PlansFacility ListPROVIDER LIST
3Dental
UniqueLists
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2:A8A2=SORT(IF(UNIQUE(InsurancePlanList!$C$2:$C$300,FALSE,FALSE)=0,"",UNIQUE(InsurancePlanList!$C$2:$C$300,FALSE,FALSE)))
C2C2=SORT(UNIQUE(IF(FILTER(Insurance_Plans[PlanName],Insurance_Plans[Type]=Claims!C4,"")=0,"",FILTER(Insurance_Plans[PlanName],Insurance_Plans[Type]=Claims!C4,"")),FALSE,FALSE))
E2E2=SORT(UNIQUE(IF(FILTER(Provider_and_Facility[Facility],Provider_and_Facility[Type]=Claims!C4,"")=0,"",FILTER(Provider_and_Facility[Facility],Provider_and_Facility[Type]=Claims!C4,"")),FALSE,FALSE))
G2G2=SORT(UNIQUE(IF(FILTER(Provider_and_Facility[Provider],(Provider_and_Facility[Type]=Claims!C4)*(Provider_and_Facility[Facility]=Claims!F4),"")=0,"",FILTER(Provider_and_Facility[Provider],(Provider_and_Facility[Type]=Claims!C4)*(Provider_and_Facility[Facility]=Claims!F4),"")),FALSE,FALSE))
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back