Case Sensitive vlookup (Entire List)

ChoDuffield

I need to do a case sensitive vlookup. I found several results here which list a formula similar to this:

=IF(EXACT(G4,VLOOKUP(G4,$C$4:$D$9,1,FALSE))=TRUE,VLOOKUP(G4,$C$4:$D$9,2,FALSE),"No exact match")

The problem is that the formula returns "No exact match" once it finds a match without the same case. I need the formula to continue looking for the match in the entire list. Here is what I'm currently getting back:

Data1Data2vlookupresult
aaaa-smallbbbNo exact match
AAAA-bigaaaa-small
AaAA-mixedbBbB-mixed
bBbB-mixedAaANo exact match
bbbb-smallBBBNo exact match
BBBB-BigAAANo exact match

<colgroup><col span="4"><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

As you can see, 'bbb' is coming back with 'No exact match' when in fact there is one. It says that because bBb is listed first in the data. Compare this against 'aaa' which comes back with the correct match, but that value was listed first.

Does anyone know of a formula which will evaluate the entire list without stopping when incorrect casing is found?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Maybe

Formula in E2
=INDEX($B$1:$B$100,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(EXACT($A$1:$A$100,$D2),0),0))
copy down

Assumes lookup values in column D

M.

Upvote 0
I need to do a case sensitive vlookup. I found several results here which list a formula similar to this:

=IF(EXACT(G4,VLOOKUP(G4,$C$4:$D$9,1,FALSE))=TRUE,VLOOKUP(G4,$C$4:$D$9,2,FALSE),"No exact match")

The problem is that the formula returns "No exact match" once it finds a match without the same case. I need the formula to continue looking for the match in the entire list. Here is what I'm currently getting back:

Data1
Data2
vlookup
result
aaa
a-small
bbb
No exact match
AAA
A-big
aaa
a-small
AaA
A-mixed
bBb
B-mixed
bBb
B-mixed
AaA
No exact match
bbb
b-small
BBB
No exact match
BBB
B-Big
AAA
No exact match

<tbody>
</tbody>

As you can see, 'bbb' is coming back with 'No exact match' when in fact there is one. It says that because bBb is listed first in the data. Compare this against 'aaa' which comes back with the correct match, but that value was listed first.

Does anyone know of a formula which will evaluate the entire list without stopping when incorrect casing is found?

Thank you!

Also, possibly...

E2, just enter and copy down:

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,FIND($A$2:$A$7,$D2),$B$2:$B$7)

Upvote 0
Thanks all. I had to do a little research to under the 1st two formulas, but I think I have it. The last one I'm not as clear on, but at this point I'm okay with it.

Upvote 0
Thanks all. I had to do a little research to under the 1st two formulas, but I think I have it. The last one I'm not as clear on, but at this point I'm okay with it.

FIND is case sensitive. In the formula the FIND bit generates an array when it searches the items in A2:A7 in D2 one by one. The generated array consists of position numbers (integers). LOOKUP returns the value from B2:B7 whose position cooresponds to the position of the last numeric (integer) value of A2:A7.
Rich (BB code):
1. LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,FIND($A$2:$A$7,$D2),$B$2:$B$7)

2. LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,{#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;1;#VALUE!},$B$2:$B$7)

3. LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,
      {#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;1;#VALUE!},
      {"a-small";"A-big";"A-mixed";"B-mixed";"b-small";"B-Big"})

4. b-small

See the following links on how LOOKUP gets the last numeric value...

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?102091
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?310278 (post #7)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mytux

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back