Cell Validation Not Responding

Ark68

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am having a problem.
I have a validated cell that I copy from one protected worksheet to another.
At the source, the cell's list validation works. Click on the cell and the little arrow shows.
However, at the target worksheet, the user can click on the cell (which is unlocked) but their is no little arrow. Checking the cell's properties indicates that there is cell validation in place.

Any idea why I don't have the list validation function?

I can type in the selected cell, and any invalid entry (according to the validation list) will trigger the error message. So the validation list is there, just no option for the drop down.

Jenn

Last edited:
So Colin, I'm scared to be replacing moving around sheets LOL. Excel scares me now LOL.
So, if this resolves the issue, will I not continue to experience this problem in the future? You can see now how I use the cut and paste of the validation, so I assume I will once again exceed the number allowed?

Jenn

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
I don't think you exceeded that limit, Jenn.
[It was a guess - as you can see on the link, that limit does apply to autofilter dropdowns but it may not apply to data validation dropdowns.]

So, if this resolves the issue, will I not continue to experience this problem in the future?
To know that for sure we'd have to know what caused it in the first place... but fingers crossed, no.

Upvote 0
I tried your suggestion Colin of moving my haunted worksheet to another blank workbook and bringing it back (an exorcism?) but still did not have any positive results. Still no drop down arrows.

Jenn

Upvote 0
Strange, it works for me (just did it again to be sure). If it doesn't work for you then I guess you'll have to make a new one like they did on that link I found?

Upvote 0
OK ... I rebuilt a new worksheet and everything appears to be working ok.
Now, I can focus on moving ahead vs. spinning my tires and going nowhere but back.

Thanks Colin!!

Jenn

Upvote 0
Oh crap.
Lost them again!!
Gone after two hours of successful testing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wayneho98

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back