Cells that update eachother

exclaymation

Hi guys,

I have searched this for a while and I am still unable to find an answer, so maybe someone here can help me.

I am creating a budget spread sheet, where a different sheet is used for every month.
The months are divided into weeks of the year (week 1, 2... 52), but it also includes weeks where only a few days of the month occur (eg. Feb 2012 - week 1 includes 30 and 31 of Jan, then 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 of Feb and week 5 includes 27, 28, 29 of Feb and 1, 2, 3, 4 of March). Now, since week 5 of January and week 1 of February will be the same, I would like to link those cells, so if I was to change the cell value in January, it automatically changes in February. The issue is, that I also want to make it so that if I am to change the cell value in February, it alters the cell in January (so cell F33!Jan = F33!Feb and F33!Feb = F33!Jan).

I know it sounds like an infinite loop, and it might be that there is no way to do that. I just hope that there is, so that this allows this spreadsheet to be really efficient.

If anyone can give me a hand, I will greatly appreciate.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Welcome to MrExcel.

When you say a cell is "updated", is there a way to tell which is the most up-to-date cell just by looking at the values (eg. the higher value is the newest)? If so you could do a macro that would update the other cells, but without being able to tell which is the newest I'm not sure there is a way to do this (and I'm pretty sure it will require a macro).

Upvote 0
Why are you trying to put the same week under 2 different months? Would it not be determined by a week ending day(usually Saturday) which month the week would fall under? If you are taking any totals from these sheets then if you did it this way you would be double counting any week that falls under 2 months.

You could write a macro that would do that but honestly I think you just need to rethink your structuring or when you are entering data in those weeks only update it on the one sheet(that hard to change tabs enter the data?)

Another way to do it is to create a master list which each day that would populate each of the monthly sheets so you only change the data in the table and it fills in each of the individual month's sheets. This might be something to consider as it is easy to set up, on your individual spreadsheets just use vlookup on the date to find it on the master list.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back