Changing format of numbers

Bluemegaman

Hi all,

Having problems with changing the format of some numbers (they're supposed to be telephone numbers!). when exporting into a spreadsheet from our database some of the telephone numbers (but not all!) miss their first zero so in excel they come out in one number like

208XXXXXXX

I Need them like this

020 xxxx xxxx

I have thousands of numbers with this problem. Am in need of some code which will add the zero to the front end of the numbers and then put a space after the third and seventh digit, otherwise excel just deletes the zero again :cry: .

I have tried using the Left function etc but am not very familiar with these as i only started vba last week.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks - :)
Mike

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.

Harvey

this formula will convert any number to your format. It has to be 11 characters though.

=REPT(0,11-LEN($A8)) & LEFT($A8,3-(11-LEN($A8))) & " " & MID($A8,4-(11-LEN($A8)),4) & " " & RIGHT($A8, 4)

Bluemegaman

thanks it would work but my numbers aren't always 11 characters long- some are missing the zero at the front which is why excel is having a problem displying them.

Preferably i need code which would search the numbers and find those without a zero on the front THEN convert them into the xxx xxxx xxxx format.

Bluemegaman

ADVERTISEMENT

yes i have tried formatting the cells that way and it does not take unfortunately :cry:

Harvey

bluemegaman I meant with my formula the number cannot be longer than 11 characters. Shorter numbers are no problem. As long as you do not use phone numbers with 11+ cyphers you can use my formula.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RogerL