Changing to number from scientific notation

psjoyce

Hello
I receive files with account numbers that come to me in scientific notation. the file is already a CSV. Can i change the scientific notation value back to its original number? An example is below
This is one of those annoying problems that is putting a project at risk - believe it or not. Thank you very much in advance

Original account number

8260170540706602 ---
But appears like this
8.26017E+15

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Hello
I receive files with account numbers that come to me in scientific notation. the file is already a CSV. Can i change the scientific notation value back to its original number? An example is below
This is one of those annoying problems that is putting a project at risk - believe it or not. Thank you very much in advance

Original account number
8260170540706602 ---
But appears like this
8.26017E+15

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Are you saying the CSV file contains 8.25017E+15 in it? If so, then I am pretty sure the rest of the digits are gone. The problem is the source where the CSV file was created from kept the account number as a numeric value, hence the conversion as 16 digits were too many to store as a number. I am guessing that if the original file stored the account number as text, it would have survived in tact when the CSV file was created.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes the original file has the 8.25017E+15. :(. Despite my repeated attempts to get the programmers to change the reporting logic/code. However, I will provide the explanation you provided as to why this is happening to help them understand that they need to save that field as a text field.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back