Changing Variables Copy and Paste

ku

I have random numbers in the A column. In cell B1 I have the formula =a1*2. I copy cell B1 and paste it all the way down the B column. The formula for cell B2 is =a2*2, the formula for cell B3 is =13*2, and so on. How do I make it so that this does not happen. That is, when I copy and paste cell B1 down the B column, how do I make all cells in column B have the formula =a1*2. I don't want the cells to keep on changing.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"

GlennUK

Why do you want them all to have the same formula? Just curious ... seems very strange to me.

To stop cell references changing, make the reference absolute $A$1 ( the $ before the A makes the column absolute, and the $ before the 1 makes the row absolute ). When you generating a formula and you've just entered ( or pointed at ) a cell reference, pressing F4 will rotate the reference through the 4 phases of absolute/relative referencing ( e.g. A1, $A$1, $A1, A$1 ).

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agentless