Chart Category (Horizontal) Axis Labels Stuck As Numbers

zozoam

Okay, so I have a bar chart I've created whose data source is a range of cells (Progress!$L$4:$Q$6). The category labels (horizontal axis) of the chart USED to reflect the category names as text values (nameA, nameB, nameC, nameD, and nameE), which is what they were supposed to do. I should state that the data in the range of cells, including the cells used for the axis labels, are dynamic and subject to change based on a series of formulas.

For several days, the chart handled the changes well and would update itself just fine, according the values in the cells. But for some reason, without my making any changes to the chart itself, the chart recently stopped reflecting the axis names with the (dynamic) values from the cells, and now simply labels the categories as numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. The rest of the data in the chart has continued to update itself without a problem.

I've checked to make sure the chart is still linked to the correct range of cells, and it is. I've checked that the axis is specifically connected to the correct range, and it is. I've checked the range of cells itself to make sure it is still reflecting the right values (nameA, nameB, nameC, nameD, and nameE), and it is. When I open the "Select Data Source" window, under "Horitzonal (Category) Axis Labels," it shows the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, instead of the values in the cells it is linked to. It used to work properly, but for some reason, now it doesn't.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
I can't post the original because some of the content is confidential. But I made a sample workbook that I can share, that's set up the same way. So far, the axis labels in the new sample are working as they should, like my original chart did at first. It might take some time for the bug to show up. Therefore, I'm not sure if this will help or not. In any case, here it is...

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F43C0C167351C1B9!937

Upvote 0
Unfortuantley the file you put up is protected so im not able to work on the chart part of the graph which is the most important,i ess to all parts of itneed have full acc

Upvote 0
Okay, so I have a bar chart I've created whose data source is a range of cells (Progress!$L$4:$Q$6). The category labels (horizontal axis) of the chart USED to reflect the category names as text values (nameA, nameB, nameC, nameD, and nameE), which is what they were supposed to do. I should state that the data in the range of cells, including the cells used for the axis labels, are dynamic and subject to change based on a series of formulas.

For several days, the chart handled the changes well and would update itself just fine, according the values in the cells. But for some reason, without my making any changes to the chart itself, the chart recently stopped reflecting the axis names with the (dynamic) values from the cells, and now simply labels the categories as numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. The rest of the data in the chart has continued to update itself without a problem.

I've checked to make sure the chart is still linked to the correct range of cells, and it is. I've checked that the axis is specifically connected to the correct range, and it is. I've checked the range of cells itself to make sure it is still reflecting the right values (nameA, nameB, nameC, nameD, and nameE), and it is. When I open the "Select Data Source" window, under "Horitzonal (Category) Axis Labels," it shows the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, instead of the values in the cells it is linked to. It used to work properly, but for some reason, now it doesn't.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks.
I opened your file and everything is right. 'Data Range'!$B$13:$B$17
18fRILq
Please see picture http://sdrv.ms/18fRILq

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know it's right. That's why I said I wasn't sure if the sample file would be useful. The original file, where the problem occurred, worked correctly as well, for a time. Then it quit working, seemingly at random. That's why I'm asking if anyone else has experienced this problem, and if so, do they know how to fix it.

Upvote 0
I managed to unprotect it and there doesn't seem to be an issue with it,if the problem persists it may be a bug.however as this isn't the file that you have and only a sample have a double check that one of your formulas may have been changed by accident.that may be the cause

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back