chart function of two variables

hemsleysut

Board Regular
I'll like to graph a function of two variables eg. f(x,y)=2x^2-y^2-y. I suspect I will need the surface chart but can some one tell me how to generate the chart and what to enter on the worksheet. Thanking you in advance.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
ok this is a little bit complicated but doable (well I just did it for your example and it looks very pretty).

First you need to list some regularly spaced (ie 1,2,3 or 5,10,15 or 100,200,300) x values along row 1 (starting in cell b1).
Then list some y values (again regularly spaced...preferably the same values as you used for x) down column A (starting in cell A2).
Next write your formula in cell B2...for your example I used:
=(2*(B$1^2))-($A2^2)-$A2
The dollar signs mean that the formula will always use the value in row 1 or column a.
Autofill the formula (hover the mouse over the bottom right hand corner of B2 until you see a + sign, click and drag) along the whole of row 2, untill you get to the end of your x values, then autofill down until you reach the end of your y values.

Once this is done simply select the cells containing the formula and do a surface chart.

The surface chart uses the cell position to determine the data points x,y co-ordinates and the value in the cell is plotted along the z axis.

I hope this makes some sense.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back