ChartObjects: problem configuring and retaining values

Holmoak45

I'm having trouble with ChartObjects: I'm potentially placing patches on patches while missing something fundamental.
I'm using VBA in excel:mac 2011.

I have 4 ChartObjects on a sheet, taking values from different data ranges and displaying them identically.
They are simple values-over-time x-y line charts. The first takes its data from columns A:B on one sheet, the other three from columns A:B, C:D and E:F on another.
They all run through the same code, with a Select Case statement to take the relevant data, then (for all) add the ChartObject and format it. The first two behave fine; the second two are causing problems.

I set about trying to extract (what I think) are the key bits of the code, but it's probably easier to reproduce most of it (just extracting the maths for sizing and positioning)

Sub s_CreateChartsTotals(i_call As Byte, i_lasttotalsrow As Integer, i_itemrows As Byte)
' Creates the charts on the front sheet ' Call 1 is the total range, call 2 is the last 5 years, call 3 the last 3 years, call 4 the last year

Dim v_chart As ChartObject
Dim v_datarange As Range
Dim v_height As Integer
Dim v_offsetleft As Integer
Dim v_offsettop As Integer
Dim v_xvalues As Range
Dim y_values As Range

' Set the data to be used for each of the charts ' For some reason, the values taken for the x and y axis from other than the first two columns of the Totals for charts sheet ' need specifically assigning to those axes.
Select Case i_call
Case 1 ' Full chart: take all values from the Totals sheet, row 3 onwards
Set v_datarange = Worksheets("Totals").Range("A3").Resize(i_lasttotalsrow - 2, 2)

Case 2 ' Last 5 years: take values from columns A:B on Totals for charts sheet
Set v_datarange = Worksheets("Totals for charts").Range("A:B")

Case 3 ' Last 3 years: take values from columns C:D on Totals for charts sheet
Set v_datarange = Worksheets("Totals for charts").Range("C:D")
Set v_xvalues = Worksheets("Totals for charts").Range("C:C")
Set v_yvalues = Worksheets("Totals for charts").Range("D:D")

Case 4 ' Last 12 months: take values from columns E:F on Totals for charts sheet
Set v_datarange = Worksheets("Totals for charts").Range("E:F")
Set v_xvalues = Worksheets("Totals for charts").Range("E:E")
Set v_yvalues = Worksheets("Totals for charts").Range("F:F")
End Select

' Add the chart for this iteration
' *** stuff to calculate positioning variables removed ***

Set v_chart = Worksheets("Total").ChartObjects.Add(v_offsetleft, v_offsettop, 192, v_height)
v_chart.Activate

' Set the data as the pre-prepared datarange and format the line and axes,

With ActiveChart
.SetSourceData Source:=v_datarange, PlotBy:=xlColumns
If i_call >= 3 Then
.SeriesCollection(1).Values = v_yvalues
.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = v_xvalues
.SeriesCollection(2).Delete
End If

.PlotArea.Interior.ColorIndex = 36
.Legend.Delete

.Type = xlLine
With .SeriesCollection(1)
.MarkerStyle = xlNone
.Border.Weight = xlMedium
End With ' .SeriesCollection(1) (i.e. the line)

With .Axes(xlCategory).TickLabels
.NumberFormat = "mm/yy"
.Orientation = 90
End With ' .Axes(xlCategory).TickLabels

.Axes(xlValue).TickLabels.NumberFormat = "$#,##0"

End With ' v_chart
End Sub

As the comments in the code show, there's already a patch in there specifically to set the x and y datasources for the two charts taking from other than columns A and B on the sheet and to delete a spurious second data series that the default .Add creates. This works. However, when you save and reopen the file, these two ChartObjects have 'forgtten' part of this configuration (the x axis values are lost and a vertical line is drawn up the y axis).

If you re-run the code that creates them as part of Worksheet.Open, all is displayed perfectly. However, this also involves doing a lot of other stuff which I don't want to do every time the worksheet is opened. Before I head off and re-engineer to isolate this specific code so that just the two problem ChartObjects are redrawn on opening, I think I need to get to the bottom of what the problem is. The root could be in how I'm taking from columns C:D and E:F rather than A:B in the first place, why I'm upsetting it, and / or how I declare this stuff such that it survives save and re-open of the file.

Sorry if this 'goes on' a bit or is REALLY basic (I don't use charts much) but hopefully I've described the problem.

Thank you.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back