Charts randomly getting deleted

justinpeeler

I'm not sure if this is where this issue belongs, please correct me if I am wrong.

I have a shared xlsm file on a network drive. This file has a few dozen graphs and charts spread over about a dozen different sheets. All of these sheets are password protected and hidden from the majority of users of the file.

Lately Excel has been deleting all the charts in this file, problem is it never happens when I or anyone in my office opens it up so it's hard to tell if Excel is giving an error message before hand or not and many other users are accessing the file with varying degrees of Excel savvy so finding out from them is a no go. All we know is it isn't a user deleting the graphs as all the sheets are password protected and the VBA is also protected as we do have active macro's on the book so it doesn't seem likely anyone is breaking the password just to delete sheets and rehide anything. This is definitely an Excel error.

I imagine Excel is giving an error message and attempting to repair the file when one of the users is saving and its method of "repair" is deleting the charts. I've seen a very similar occurrence on the same workbook when it cleared all formatting and had to "clean up" the file of broken links, names, unused formatting etc. Unfortunately Google is turning up nothing on this exact issue.

What can cause Excel to think the charts are corrupt or broken and need to be deleted?

For the sake of troubleshooting everything was fine then we added 6 more sheets to the book (33 total now if that matters) and grouped up the charts using insert shape rectangles with no fill serving as a border and added Footers to each of the sheets with the graphs. Essentially the next day after doing that formatting trouble began but not sure how some shapes and footers can cause this. Hopefully someone has encountered something like this and can provide some insight as to stopping it. For now we're backing up the file 2-3 times a day to try and minimize data loss when Excel inevitably deletes our charts again.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
anything causing data to be deleted and leaving #REF issues

have a search for XSFormatCleaner, may help fix unspotted issues

Upvote 0
I'll give that a shot but the problem is data isn't being deleted and left with a #REF. My charts completely 100% vanish. The tabs they were on are now completely blank (aside from any populated cells/formatting they may have had). I've hit alt+F10 to pull up the object viewer and it's as if they never existed. Go to create new charts and it begins the naming scheme from Chart1.

Upvote 0
off the wall, create a hidden sheet with an ID on it, if the sheet gets deleted could someone be overwriting the file. I understand shares store info about changes. another thing that might work is vba to log who has opened the sheet and when. I would be looking to trying to log from a remote file that isn't in built to monitor changes

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back