Check if one cell contains partial text from another cell and return 'Yes' or No'

Frank_Kruyer

Hi,

This is my first time posting. I am not an Excel expert but feel like the answer to my question will be solved by an array formula, an area which I need to improve!

Anyway here goes...

I have a list in Sheet 1, Column A, of cells containing text:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="209"><colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:7643;width:157pt" width="209"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt;width:157pt" height="17" width="209">Text 1</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Text 2</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Text 3</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Text 4</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Text 5</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Text 6</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Text 7</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Text 8</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Text 9</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
On Sheet 2, I have another list containg text, obtained from an external data source. However due to the format of the source all text is in Upper case and void of punctuation. For example if Sheet 1 contains a cell with the text 'Don't Go', in Sheet 2 it will appear 'DON T GO'.

In another column on Sheet 1 I have been using a simple vlookup with an if and iserr statement to return a value of either 'Y' or 'N'. So basically I am checking to see if the title from Sheet 1, appears in Sheet 2:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A5,Sheet 2!$B$2:$G$12,1,0)),"N","Y")

This is fine as long I am looking up text that does not contain punctuations, when punctuations are present the value my formula returns is not true.

So I need a formula, ideally a lookup, which will look at the cell in Sheet 1, and check Sheet 2 for a cell containing that text. The formula above with an approximate match will not suffice as there are too many values in Sheet 2 which will false return a 'Y' result.

So I'm stumped, obviously I could just format the text in either sheet to compensate for punctuation (either inserting or removing it) but with 100's of rows this could be very time consuming. Also, this kind of manual find and replace work means there is more room for human error. If anyone feel they can help (you may need more info / to see an example sheet) that would be amazing.

Apologies for the lengthy post!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Well, Find and Replace might be OK, if you don't have too many steps.

You can convert all the text to upper case by using the =UPPER() function. There are other case formating functions that you could look at, but UPPER might be best here.

You could then find and replace all the " ' " characters with a space, if that's what you want to do.
Then work out what other punctuation characters you have, if any, and find and replace them too.

ps - welcome to the board !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJFabEngineering

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back