Choosing Options out of array

moshiq

Hi guys,

I have a problem that I find hard to solve and I will thank you for you advise:

-I have X options and I need to pick 3 out of them for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.
-Each option is valued as: rate*place probability.
-If I chose option A in the 1st place it's unavailable for the 2nd and 3rd place
-I need the 3 highest (in rate*probability) combinations of those options.

here is an example of 5 options (it can varies):

Price1st Place2nd Place3rd Place
3100%40%20%
490%50%35%
2.580%50%40%
3.570%60%50%
560%20%40%

<colgroup><col><col><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

<colgroup><col><col><col><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

the solution to this example is:
1) B,D,E
2) D,B,E
3) B,A,E

What do you recommend I should do?
I prefer formula upon VBA.

Thanks

The Solver add-in is ideally suited for this kind of work. If you are not familiar with it, the time you spend learning about it will be well spent.
Hi guys,

I have a problem that I find hard to solve and I will thank you for you advise:

-I have X options and I need to pick 3 out of them for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.
-Each option is valued as: rate*place probability.
-If I chose option A in the 1st place it's unavailable for the 2nd and 3rd place
-I need the 3 highest (in rate*probability) combinations of those options.

here is an example of 5 options (it can varies):

Price1st Place2nd Place3rd Place
3100%40%20%
490%50%35%
2.580%50%40%
3.570%60%50%
560%20%40%

<colgroup><col><col><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

<colgroup><col><col><col><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

the solution to this example is:
1) B,D,E
2) D,B,E
3) B,A,E

What do you recommend I should do?
I prefer formula upon VBA.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Hello Tushar,

I was originally thinking about the What-if Analysis in Excel but I was pretty sure, based on my understanding of these, that it would not work on this type of problem. I am not familiar with Solver, so I have added and will try to figure out a solution for this for my own education. I did watch one video, but the solver at first look does not seem to be very intuitive for applying here, but as soon as I can I'll give it a go...

Thanks

Upvote 0
Solver is *ideal* for this problem. In fact, set up the problem correctly and you can use the 'Simplex' method, which is guaranteed to yield what is known as a "global optimum," i.e., a solution that cannot be improved upon.

Suppose the data are in A1:D6, with row 1 containing headings.

We will let Solver change the values in F2:H6. A 1 in a cell means that the item in the row is in that place. So, if F2 is one then it means that A is in place 1. Similarly, if H6 is one then it means that E is in place 3.

Then, in I2 enter the formula =SUM(F2:H2) and copy it down to I3:I6.

In F7 enter the formula =SUM(F2:F6) and copy it to G7:H7.

In K2 enter the formula =SUMPRODUCT(F$2:F$6,$A$2:$A$6,B$2:B$6) and copy it to L2:M2.

In M3 enter the formula =SUM(K2:M2).

Now, in Solver, create a model that maximizes M3 by changing F2:H6 subject to F2:H6 being binary variables, I2:I6 <=1 and F7:H7=1.

Select the Simplex LP as the method.

Solver will give B, D, E as the optimal solution.

The solver model, when saved to the worksheet will look like:

=MAX($M$3)
=COUNT($F$2:$H$6)
=($F$2:$H$6=0)+($F$2:$H$6=1)=1
=$F$7:$H$7=1
=$I$2:$I$6<=1
={32767,32767,0.000001,0.01,TRUE,FALSE,TRUE,1,1,1,0.0001,TRUE}
={0,0,2,100,0,FALSE,TRUE,0.075,0,0,FALSE,30}

Hello Tushar,

I was originally thinking about the What-if Analysis in Excel but I was pretty sure, based on my understanding of these, that it would not work on this type of problem. I am not familiar with Solver, so I have added and will try to figure out a solution for this for my own education. I did watch one video, but the solver at first look does not seem to be very intuitive for applying here, but as soon as I can I'll give it a go...

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Tushar,

It worked like a charm. I was able to process the data and define the highest combination outcome.
Thank you for presenting the solver tool and its abilities.

Do you know how can I reach the highest three combinations, and not only the highest one?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Try this array formula**:

=LARGE(MMULT(IF(MMULT(IFERROR(FIND({1,2,3,4,5},ROW($123:$543))^0,0),{1;1;1;1;1})=3,N(OFFSET($A$1,MID(ROW($123:$543),{1,2,3},1),{1,2,3})),0),{1;1;1}),ROWS($1:1))

Copy down to get the 2nd, 3rd, etc. highest total.

Regards

**Array formulas are not entered in the same way as 'standard' formulas. Instead of pressing just ENTER, you first hold down CTRL and SHIFT, and only then press ENTER. If you've done it correctly, you'll notice Excel puts curly brackets {} around the formula (though do not attempt to manually insert these yourself).</SPAN></SPAN>

Upvote 0
Hi,

Try this array formula**:

=LARGE(MMULT(IF(MMULT(IFERROR(FIND({1,2,3,4,5},ROW($123:$543))^0,0),{1;1;1;1;1})=3,N(OFFSET($A$1,MID(ROW($123:$543),{1,2,3},1),{1,2,3})),0),{1;1;1}),ROWS($1:1))

Copy down to get the 2nd, 3rd, etc. highest total.

Regards

**Array formulas are not entered in the same way as 'standard' formulas. Instead of pressing just ENTER, you first hold down CTRL and SHIFT, and only then press ENTER. If you've done it correctly, you'll notice Excel puts curly brackets {} around the formula (though do not attempt to manually insert these yourself).

Hi XOR LX,

Thank you for the answer.
I was not able to get any outcome from the formula you wrote.
Can you guide me with more details how to implement the formula in my sheet (where to place it) and what do do after I place it?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Sorry. I should have clarified that it assumes, like tusharm, that your data are in A1:D6, with row 1 containing the headers, and also that I was basing the formula on the table that you gave in post #4

Place the formula in any cell you wish. Make sure you enter it as an array formula, as I described. Then copy down to get the 2nd, 3rd, etc. highest possible totals.

Regards

Upvote 0
Hi,

Sorry. I should have clarified that it assumes, like tusharm, that your data are in A1:D6, with row 1 containing the headers, and also that I was basing the formula on the table that you gave in post #4

Place the formula in any cell you wish. Make sure you enter it as an array formula, as I described. Then copy down to get the 2nd, 3rd, etc. highest possible totals.

Regards

Dear XOR LX,

It worked like a charm thank you for reply me back.
It's great result.

Do you know how can I see the names and order of the products for the top 3 results.
(In our example: 1.e,b,c ; 2. e,c,b 3.a,b,d)

Thanks again,

Upvote 0
Sure.

Based still on the table you gave in post #4, and assuming you put your answers for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd largest totals in F2:F4, put this (again, array) formula in G2:

=INDEX($A$2:$A$6,MID(INDEX(ROW($123:$543),MATCH(TRUE,MMULT(IF(MMULT(IFERROR(FIND({1,2,3,4,5},ROW($123:$543))^0,0),{1;1;1;1;1})=3,N(OFFSET($A$1,MID(ROW($123:$543),{1,2,3},1),{1,2,3})),0),{1;1;1})=$F2,0)),COLUMNS($A:A),1))

Copy down as required and also to the right a further two columns.

Note: this may give incorrect results if any of your largest three totals totals are identical. Let me know if that's a possibility and I'll make a correction.

Regards

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure.

Based still on the table you gave in post #4, and assuming you put your answers for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd largest totals in F2:F4, put this (again, array) formula in G2:

=INDEX($A$2:$A$6,MID(INDEX(ROW($123:$543),MATCH(TRUE,MMULT(IF(MMULT(IFERROR(FIND({1,2,3,4,5},ROW($123:$543))^0,0),{1;1;1;1;1})=3,N(OFFSET($A$1,MID(ROW($123:$543),{1,2,3},1),{1,2,3})),0),{1;1;1})=$F2,0)),COLUMNS($A:A),1))

Copy down as required and also to the right a further two columns.

Note: this may give incorrect results if any of your largest three totals totals are identical. Let me know if that's a possibility and I'll make a correction.

Regards

Perfect!

Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenmaldonado

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back