Code runs on one machine but not another. BIG MYSTERY!

sophia

Board Regular
Hi gurus and excel whizzes!

Here is a stumper. I hired a brilliant freind who is a VBA wiz to build an Excel App for me. The freind is a great coder and programs professionally.

The Problem, Part I: He sent me the spreadsheet (with the code) but when I ran the program on my computer it would get so slow that by then end it couldn't even finish (it would just stall out). My freind and I reasoned since the comp I had was 4 years old, maybe I needed a faster machine to get this to work. So, I went out and bought a brand new computer.

Part II: Last week I bought a brand new HP with an AMD chip and 1 gig of memory. I loaded a brand new copy of Excel 2003 on it and tried to run the prog. It would finish (unlike on the old comp where it just would hang up) but it would take +/- 60 minutes. On my freind's Dell it took less than 6 minutes. So, after he does everything he can think of to troubleshoot it (and nothing works), he and I go to the store where I bought it, and show the salesguy and all the tech guys the prog running on his computer and mine side by side. They all agree it makes no sense-- mine is brand new, more memory etc. They try to clean up the new computer and take off Norton etc. Still no change. Then, one tech guy says the problem is that the AMD chip is not optimized for Excel and lacks a special floating point something or other and Intel chips are. So, they all agree this is the prob and I need Intel inside.

Part III: I *sigh* and return the brand new computer for a more expensive brand new HP with an Intel Centrino (same chip as my friend's Dell) and tons of memory and load Excel 2002 (because that is what my friend is running) on the brand new Intel Computer.

Part IV: ARGGGGGG! I am running the program right now and it still does not work! The thing is, it does "work", but it is so, so, so slow. On his computer it all takes less than 5-8 minutes. I have already been runnning this for 40 minutes now and it still is not done.

SO, THE QUESTION: What else can we try? Could there be a differance in how HP runs Excel versus a Dell? I am at wits end. I know this might neccesitate one of you gurus actually seeing the code, but I do not want to post it to the board. So,

(1) any ideas on what the problem is;
(2) any ideas (even crazy ideas) on troubleshooting and
(3) is anyone interested in taking a closer look if that is what it takes to solve the mystery (ie without the code showing up here)?

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hi, seems a very odd and youve obviously been through a lot to get to where things are now. I'll send you a PM with my email address and I will have a look at it for you.

Some things to check would be how objects are being referenced. I have an AMD at home and have had no problem running Excel so will be interesting to see.

Excel versions may be an avenue to look at, including whether all the service packs have been applied. Virus checkers may cause code to crawl on occassion or if your accessing a network there can be latency problems.

regards,
Graham

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back