Code to open worksheet based on date

Purple Turtle

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a workbook that when opened a userform appears. The user inputs data, then clicks a submit button which enters the data , saves and closes the workbook. There are 13 sheets. 12 of them are labeled by months of the year. January, February, March, etc. I need help with a macro that would have the workbook open to the corresponding sheet based on the pc system date. Its August now and everytime the book is opened it will open to sheet labeled August. On September 1, the book will open to sheet labeled September. The 13th sheet is for admin purposes and would not be affected.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Would this not work?
VBA Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Sheets(Format(Date, "mmmm")).Activate
End Sub

Goes in the ThisWorkbook code module

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Would this not work?
VBA Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Sheets(Format(Date, "mmmm")).Activate
End Sub

Goes in the ThisWorkbook code module
Thanks. I'll try tomorrow at work. I'll reply if it works. How could I test it sooner than waiting until next month? I'm a noob. How does excel know to do this? What is "mmmm" and could the sheet name be the abbreviated name like Sept or Oct?

Upvote 0
Install it in the ThisWorkbook code module, activate the january worksheet, save the file so the code won't be lost when you close the workbook. Then close and reopen the workbook. If it opens on the August worksheet then the code works. It will open on whatever the current month is, but make sure your sheet names are the full name for each month, no abbreviations.

Using the Format function to to get the month name requires that each sheet use the same naming convention for the month. If you do use abbreviations, the 'mmmm' would need to be changed to 'mmm' and the standard three character abbreviation would have to be used on the sheet name tab. But the OP indicated that you are using the full month name so that is how the macro is written.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Install it in the ThisWorkbook code module, activate the january worksheet, save the file so the code won't be lost when you close the workbook. Then close and reopen the workbook. If it opens on the August worksheet then the code works. It will open on whatever the current month is, but make sure your sheet names are the full name for each month, no abbreviations.

Using the Format function to to get the month name requires that each sheet use the same naming convention for the month. If you do use abbreviations, the 'mmmm' would need to be changed to 'mmm' and the standard three character abbreviation would have to be used on the sheet name tab. But the OP indicated that you are using the full month name so that is how the macro is written.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back