Color formatting based on business date and project status

Kailen64

I have 5-10 business days to complete a task. I need to be able to quickly see what's open or pending, and I need to be able to easily maintain it. I tried looking up formulas on my own, but after editing the ones I found I kept getting errors or only part of the row was formatted. I tried asking my co-workers who are more proficient in Excel than I am but their solutions did not help.

In case anyone needs it, my document is using columns A-O. The columns that should determine what formatting is used are column D (Due Date), column E (Status), and column G (Date Completed). Here is what I want:

If the status is “Open” and the due date is 4 or more business days away from today then I want the row to be highlighted in green, 3 business days away in yellow, 1-2 business days away in red, and If the due date is either today or past due then I want the row highlighted in bright red.

If the status is “Pending – Client” then I want the row highlighted in gold, “Pending – Internal” in orange, and “Pending – External” in blue, all three regardless of the due date.

If the status is “Closed” and the “Date Completed” cell filled in then I want the row highlighted in grey, and any color formatting based on dates removed.

I no longer have the failed formulas I was working with. Any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
so you need a few rules setup under conditional formatting

Select the range you want A2:??

and use the $ sign on the columns to highlight a row
assuming we start in row 2
Also the order of the rules will be important and a stop if true

column D (Due Date), column E (Status), and column G (Date Completed). Here is what I want:

If the status is “Open” and the due date is 4 or more business days away from today then I want the row to be highlighted in green,
=AND( $E2 ="OPEN", $D2 > = today()+4 )

3 business days away in yellow,

=AND( $E2 ="OPEN", $D2 = today()+3 )

1-2 business days away in red,

=AND( $E2 ="OPEN", $D2 > = today()+1 )

and If the due date is either today or past due then I want the row highlighted in bright red.
=AND( $E2 ="OPEN", $D2 < = today() )

If the status is “Pending – Client” then I want the row highlighted in gold, “Pending – Internal” in orange, and “Pending – External” in blue, all three regardless of the due date.

= $E2 = “Pending – Client”

If the status is “Closed” and the “Date Completed” cell filled in then I want the row highlighted in grey, and any color formatting based on dates removed.

=AND( $E2 = "closed" , $G2 <> "" )

and any colour formatting based on dates removed. - what does this mean ?

otherwise - can you put the spreadsheet - with dummy data - onto a share like dropbox or onedrive to link here ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back