Combine cells from a row to single column when item name changes

gr8rck

Hi,

Need a little help combining cells automatically when the columns aren't the exact same number of lines for each item.

As an example

Column A (A1-A2):
12PM-black-ivory-stripe-dress_1.jpg
12PM-black-ivory-stripe-dress_2.jpg

Column A (A3-A6)
12PM-blue-ivory-stripe-dress_1.jpg
12PM-blue-ivory-stripe-dress_2.jpg
12PM-blue-ivory-stripe-dress_3.jpg
12PM-blue-ivory-stripe-dress_4.jpg

I can get the above to show up in cell A1 by using the combine method, but what i can't get is that method to automatically understand there is a new product on line A3 and it has 4 items and should combine those 4 items into B3. It only wants to combine using same formula above using just 2 values.

I have a long list of products in column A1 that vary from 2 product images to 6 product images.

Any assistance would be helpful. Didn't see a way to upload a sheet on here like I did before.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Ryan.

@Rick, given the fact that I'm usually on here between midnight and "whenever" ... it's a wonder I can get =A1+5 right half the time. You offer awesome help ... free. Never worry about what you missed or didn't catch / do / give. That's my philosophy.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
@Ryan, it can't rearrange anything. It's just pulling them in order, assuming that the first LEN()-8 characters are identical. If those first LEN()-8 characters differ for what you're calling "one item," then the formula wouldn't recognize them as one item, because it's looking for identical matches for the first X characters in the string.

Upvote 0
Ok. Then that means my naming convention is off most likely.

Thanks for clarifying how that works.

Ryan.

Upvote 0
I actually had a couple scenarios where it went to 10 but just manually added in the last 2 entries a few times.
Personally, the fact that the maximum capability for the formula was exceeded and you had to manually take action for those cases just screams out that you need a macro solution. But it is your data to do with as you like... just wondering, though, is this for an actual work situation and, if it is, would your boss be happy with your solution if you happened to miss correcting one or two scenarios where the maximum capability for the formula was exceeded?

Upvote 0
Hi Rick,

Since I'm the boss on this one not a big deal to manipulate a few fields but this is for an e-commerce project and there are more around the corner (and mistakes could happen manually). If there's a macro that can be created that will allow as many variations as needed OR a place where I can change a # value then i'm open to that solution.

Thanks,
Ryan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Rick,

Since I'm the boss on this one not a big deal to manipulate a few fields but this is for an e-commerce project and there are more around the corner (and mistakes could happen manually). If there's a macro that can be created that will allow as many variations as needed OR a place where I can change a # value then i'm open to that solution.
See Message #4.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back