Combine (slightly) differently spelled cells into 1 consolidated name

laxbbombers21

I've hit a rut trying to consolidate my data so hopefully someone can help! The issue I have is trying to consolidate multiple listings for the same product that have differently titled names. As an example, below shows 4 different product ID's and names. The 3rd column shows that only 1 item is active. All 4 have historical sales, but I want to consolidate this into 1 item name for analysis purposes. I need to develop a formula so the other three will know to use the Active Item's Name. I tried messing around with the Match function and the (-1,0,1) changes to see if I can get partial matches to a list of just the active items, but no luck. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

IdNameActive
2186Eames Lounge and Ottoman White AshN
2397Eames Lounge Chair & Ottoman / Black Leather / Walnut VeneerN
2595Eames Lounge Chair & OttomanN
3028Eames Lounge Chair and OttomanY

<colgroup><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
You need a Phonetic matching algorithm such as SOUNDEX or METAPHONE.

The algorithm is designed to match nearly identical names, based on interpreting them phonetically, but there are some limitations.

This thread shows a VBA implementation of the SOUNDEX algroithm and links to a site describing it and some other Fuzzy Logic matching functions..
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/592866-excel-word-pitch-music-note.html

More robust algorithms are discussed here: Using Fuzzy Matching to Search by Sound with Python | | InformIT
and in the links on that page.

And another implementation:
Fuzzy Matching Demo in Access

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback Phil. I will check out the links you provided!

You need a Phonetic matching algorithm such as SOUNDEX or METAPHONE.

The algorithm is designed to match nearly identical names, based on interpreting them phonetically, but there are some limitations.

This thread shows a VBA implementation of the SOUNDEX algroithm and links to a site describing it and some other Fuzzy Logic matching functions..
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/592866-excel-word-pitch-music-note.html

More robust algorithms are discussed here: Using Fuzzy Matching to Search by Sound with Python | | InformIT
and in the links on that page.

And another implementation:
Fuzzy Matching Demo in Access

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back