Combining names, nicknames, and addresses

Hiker

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a membership spreadsheet with first name, last name, address1, address2, town, state, zip. The spread sheet also includes a partner/spouse (additional name) column and a nickname (additional nickname) column. Except for first name and last name, not all columns have entries.

Ideally, I'd like to combine first name and last name as "lastname, firstname" & any additional name" (combined names). I'd like to combine the address1 (first line), address2, if any, in the second line, town, state zip in the 2nd or 3rd line, where applicable (combined addresses). Lastly, in a new column (combined nickname), I'd like to add nickname & additional nickname.

In the test workbook, I need formulas in 1st three green columns (combined). The yellow columns contain the data from the spread sheet and will have a few other columns such phone, email, etc.

testBook.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMN
1First nameLast nameCombined namesCombined nicknamesCombined addressesAddress1Address2TownStatePostal CodePhonenicknameadditional nameadditional nickname
2LorenGordonGordon, Loren & SusanHiker & SlackerKincora Hiking Hostel 1278 Dennis Cove Road Hampton, TN 44106Kincora Hiking Hostel1278 Dennis Cove RoadHamptonTX44106216-555-9263HikerSusanSlacker
3NancyGowlerGrowler, Nancy144 Hillcrest Ave. New Britian, MS 21208144 Hillcrest Ave.New BritainMS21208
4Mary EileenGrevéGrevé, Mary EllenBig BirdBig Bird
5MariaGuzmanGuzman, Nancy & Ralph KramdenMount Rogers Outfitter 335 E Laurel Ave. Damascus, CO Mount Rogers Outfitter335 E Laurel Ave.DamascusCO37753423-555-0014Ralph Kramden
Sheet1

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Please update your Account Details to we Know what version of Excel & Platform you used and then we found better option for you. Don't forgot to save it.
After Enter formulas, Enable Wrap Text for Formula Columns also.
if you use Excel 2016 & Before, Replace CONCAT with CONCATENATE:
Book1(AutoRecovered).xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJKLMN
1First nameLast nameCombined namesCombined nicknamesCombined addressesAddress1Address2TownStatePostal CodePhonenicknameadditional nameadditional nickname
2LorenGordonGordon, Loren & SusanHiker & SlackerKincora Hiking Hostel 1278 Dennis Cove Road Hampton, TX 44106Kincora Hiking Hostel1278 Dennis Cove RoadHamptonTX44106216-555-9263HikerSusanSlacker
3NancyGowlerGowler, Nancy 144 Hillcrest Ave. New Britain, MS 21208144 Hillcrest Ave.New BritainMS21208
4Mary EileenGrevéGrevé, Mary EileenBig Bird Big Bird
5MariaGuzmanGuzman, Maria & Ralph Kramden Mount Rogers Outfitter 335 E Laurel Ave. Damascus, CO 37753Mount Rogers Outfitter335 E Laurel Ave.DamascusCO37753423-555-0014Ralph Kramden
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C5C2=CONCAT(B2,", ",A2,IF(M2<>""," & " & M2,""))
D2:D5D2=CONCAT(L2,IF(N2<>""," & " & N2,""))
E2:E5E2=CONCAT(F2," ",IF(G2<>"",CHAR(10)&G2&" ",""),CHAR(10),H2,IF(AND(I2="",J2=""),"",", "&I2&" "&J2))

Upvote 0
Thank you, I really appreciate your help. I'll get back if I have any further questions.

I updated my info.

Awesome, that did it! I can stop pulling my hair!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I ran into a glitch. I entered the formulas but since I'll have about 1500 rows, in the third formula, I cleared the content, re-entered the formula and tried using flash fill, which really didn't work. I cleared the column again, re-entered the formula and tried to pull it down. Other than the 1st row the other data flashed briefly then disappeared.

Upvote 0
I ran into a glitch. I entered the formulas but since I'll have about 1500 rows, in the third formula, I cleared the content, re-entered the formula and tried using flash fill, which really didn't work. I cleared the column again, re-entered the formula and tried to pull it down. Other than the 1st row the other data flashed briefly then disappeared.
I got it working again!

Upvote 0
I noticed a problem. In the second formula, D2, if the L column is empty, and there's a name in the N column, it populates column D with & Name.

I'm going to unsolve the tread for the time being.

Please update your Account Details to we Know what version of Excel & Platform you used and then we found better option for you. Don't forgot to save it.
After Enter formulas, Enable Wrap Text for Formula Columns also.
if you use Excel 2016 & Before, Replace CONCAT with CONCATENATE:
Book1(AutoRecovered).xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJKLMN
2LorenGordonGordon, Loren & SusanHiker & SlackerKincora Hiking Hostel 1278 Dennis Cove Road Hampton, TX 44106Kincora Hiking Hostel1278 Dennis Cove RoadHamptonTX44106216-555-9263HikerSusanSlacker
3NancyGowlerGowler, Nancy 144 Hillcrest Ave. New Britain, MS 21208144 Hillcrest Ave.New BritainMS21208
4Mary EileenGrevéGrevé, Mary EileenBig Bird Big Bird
5MariaGuzmanGuzman, Maria & Ralph Kramden Mount Rogers Outfitter 335 E Laurel Ave. Damascus, CO 37753Mount Rogers Outfitter335 E Laurel Ave.DamascusCO37753423-555-0014Ralph Kramden
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C5C2=CONCAT(B2,", ",A2,IF(M2<>""," & " & M2,""))
D2:D5D2=CONCAT(L2,IF(N2<>""," & " & N2,""))
E2:E5E2=CONCAT(F2," ",IF(G2<>"",CHAR(10)&G2&" ",""),CHAR(10),H2,IF(AND(I2="",J2=""),"",", "&I2&" "&J2))

Upvote 0
Change formula at D2 to This:
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(L2<>"",N2<>""),L2&" & "&N2,IF(N2="",IF(L2<>"",L2,""),IF(N2<>"",N2,"")))

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back