Combining Tables

pencekj

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a document using cell phone data from multiple carriers (an AT&T table, Verizon table, Sprint table, Bell Canada table and so on). Each table has some of the same columns (phone number, account number, device model...) but also has some columns that are a little different (Verizon has a column called 'Usage Charges' while that data for AT&T would be the sum of 3 different columns on their table). I'm trying to figure out a way to combine all 3 for some pivots without having to copy and paste them into a new table. Copying/pasting isn't ideal because we deal with different data for different customers multiple times/day so this step would be done a lot. Currently our templated document has one giant table off to the side that just does =random cell or =multiple random cells added together and we pivot off that. With as many rows and columns as we have, it is giant and can even crash excel.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to combine tables for a pivot when the tables need to be separate? I can add calculated fields on the individual tables to make the columns all the exact same, unless someone has a better idea.

Thanks so much!

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Make a connection to each of the tables in Power Query. Rename the columns so they match. Then append the queries into a new table, ready for pivoting.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks. I had never used Power Query before but its actually really straightforward and easy to use

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayHo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back