combo box versus list box

not very bright dave

Board Regular
Hi

I'm probably being a bit dumb but all the examples I've come accross seem to utilise a combo box as a posistion (as in value) locator for one column of data. Is this correct? I thought you could use it to enter and return data.

Thanks

Dave

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hi Dave, both a ListBox and ComboBox are controls to store a list of values to enable you to select from a pre-chosen list of options. The benefits of these are that it enables consistent results to be returned (ie avoids mis-spelling and invalid options). What you do when an option is chosen from the list is up to you. Sometimes nothing happens, its just there to display an option and other times actions occur such as placing the value into a cell etc.

ListBoxes having nothing to do with columns per se. They are more like rows of data.

If your wanting to enter data this is normally achieved via a TextBox control. There are quite a few different controls available, simply because of the variety of things you may wish to do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back