Comma Separated Strings - Multi Criteria Lookup help

slick9456

I am trying to lookup a value in a spreadsheet where multiple criteria is involved. Normally I'd approach this task with an index match function, however I am not 100% on how to get the formula started given that in this situation, some of the values being looked up exist in a cell with multiple criteria again separated by commas. For example sheet 1 below would be the data I'd receive and Sheet 2 would be the data I would check it against. Also the cells with comma separated values may have multiple options that also may be relatively similar to other options in the string so an exact match has to be made.

Any guidance on how to approach this type of look up would be greatly appreciated as I've been unable to find anything so far by scouring the internet and threads.

Sheet 1

ABCDEF
TaxNew YorkBACoreAssocSalary

<tbody>
</tbody>

Sheet 2

ABCDEF
TaxNew YorkBA,MBA,BBAMBACore,Core2,SecondaryAssocSalary

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Try this

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH(" "&D1&" "," "&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(Sheet2!D1,","," "),";"," "),"!"," ")&" "))

Upvote 0
I tried that formula and it works when checking to the value of D1 to a specific cell on Sheet 2, however is there anyway to incorporate this into a multiple criteria lookup formula such as index match where all the cells in row 1 from sheet 1 are positive matches? The issue here is that on sheet 2 there could be hundreds rows. The goal of this formula would be to return the value in column F.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back