Comma Style Button - CHANGING DEFAULT

Latitude5400

HI

I would like to change the default format for when I push the comma style button on the ribbon. At the moment, it does two decimal places and negative numbers beginning with a dash.

I would like to reformat this so it does not give decimal places and the negative numbers appear in parenthesis. Is Excel smart enough to be able to perform this change? Its getting annoying!

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Change the number formatting of style Comma.

If you want to make it permanent, save a template as Book.xlt in your XLSTART folder.

Upvote 0
yes. first of all I don't know how to save a template. I can find the folder that is fine.

Next is how does it know what the new comma style should look like?

Upvote 0
Next is how does it know what the new comma style should look like?

Because you are going to change the format of the stye to be as you wish, and the styles are saved with the workbook.

What version do Excel are you using?

Upvote 0
In a blank workbook, on the Home tab, click Cell Styles. Right-click Comma, and select Modify. Change to the formatting you like.

SaveAs, select Excel Template (*.xltx) and save as Book in XLSTART. That will be the default template for new workbooks.

Upvote 0
Could you please tell me, how would you do this on Windows 8? I don't see a Book.xltx in the program files. I would love to figure this out. thanks
Because you are going to change the format of the stye to be as you wish, and the styles are saved with the workbook.

What version do Excel are you using?

Upvote 0
I'm replying to an old question, but I found out how to do it. I'm on Excel 2013. When I click on a number, then hit the "Comma Style" default button, it changes 4700 to 4,700.00. The next section to the right of the ribbon is "Styles." If you click to expand the one with colored boxes, etc and go down to "Comma" under the "Number Format" Section, this is the default button. Right click, modify. I changed this to make 4700 change to 4,700 and you can also center it. I saved this as my new template and it's now my default.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back