comment for a shape?

merlin777

Office Version
  1. 2007
I have a shape which is a button that runs a macro but i want to add a comment to explain what it does before the button is clicked on.

Is it possible to have a text message pop up when you mouseover a shape?

Brilliant, thanks. I didn't realise that if you clicked in the formula bar the shape went into 'link mode' but if you just typed with the shape selected you get text edit mode.

The only thing I still don't understand is where the macro is run from. You can't assign a macro to a cell so it must be on the shape you've made but if that's the case, why not just put 'show help' directly into the shape rather than linking to a cell?

The reason I assign a shape to the cell is so when the text of the cell changes, so does the text of the shape. I use VBA control the text of the cell to either display Show Help or Hide Help.
Assigning any macro to a shape is easy. Just right click on the shape and select Assign Macro.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
I have a shape which is a button that runs a macro but i want to add a comment to explain what it does before the button is clicked on.

Is it possible to have a text message pop up when you mouseover a shape?

Hi @merlin777 i found a way to achieve this exact functionality and have it move with the shape. If its still something you are interested in i can create a YouTube video.

Upvote 0
that would be really useful it'll save so much time and it's a really neat result.

Upvote 0
Why don't you just add a messagebox to the beginning of the macro? You could then set up a "Do you wish to continue?" yes/no and they could proceed from there.

Upvote 0
Hmmmn. Appreciate the suggestion but not really sure.

From a user's POV, having made the decision that you wanted help and clicked on the button you'd then be asked a second time which I think would introduce one more unnessary step.

Upvote 0
@merlin777 Ok after researching and trying different method, i believe this is the functionality you were looking for. I created a YouTube video so you can see how its done. This allows you to display a help shape when mouse hovering over another shape, AND allows you to move that shape (and the help) anywhere on the screen you would like: Excel VBA Run Macros on hover over shape - YouTube
I would love to have your feedback as well as any other users feedback on this. Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back