Compare two separate excel files

ldaniels827

One of our clinics downloads their surgery schedule from their practice management system daily and sends it to us (the surgery center) to schedule in EPIC. They make a lot of changes, like time, doctor, etc. i need to compare from the new day to the previous day any changes to the data, so we can make any corrections in EPIC. This data isn't an add on of the previous spreadsheet, but a new download.

When i tested i made changes to my current spreadsheet, and saved as a new spreadsheet and everything worked. But receiving a whole new spreadsheet doesn't seem to work. it picks up everything because it isn't in the same order.

I have tried to sort by MRN number, on both, but that didn't seem to work either.

Is there a suggestion on an easier way??

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
What was the first way?
"it picks up everything" what is picking what?

Is MRN number unique, so if a match is found between MRN numbers then it is the same data line even if the location row is different?
And of no match it's must be new data line?

So purpose is:
Compare rows with same MRN for differences and consider non matching MRN as new row of data?

Upvote 0
What was the first way?
"it picks up everything" what is picking what?

Is MRN number unique, so if a match is found between MRN numbers then it is the same data line even if the location row is different?
And of no match it's must be new data line?

So purpose is:
Compare rows with same MRN for differences and consider non matching MRN as new row of data?
the clinic runs a current two week schedule and sends it to us in excel on Monday; on Tuesday they rerun the two week schedule and sends it to us; on Wednesday they rerun the two week schedule, etc.
The MRN is unique. There are numerous fields that could change, and i want to be flagged if the MRN matches, what if anything changed.
And yes, non matching MRN is new; and if there is an MRN on the old, but not on the new, that means a cancellation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back