Comparing 2 Lists And Extracting Unique Results

muchobrento

Hi all

On a pretty regular basis I run into this problem, so I finally thought I'd see if the community can help me solve it.

I'd like to take 2 separate lists and be able to extract a 3rd list of all entries not present in both lists. For example:

• List A has 2,500 entries
  • List B has 2,700 entries (but I have no idea which entries are unique to List B)
  • List C (the result of our operation) has 200 extracted entries that are not present in both lists

As a side note, I have no idea how to write VBA script, or how to even use it. But, if the solution requires me to use a VBA script, I'll do my best to learn what I need to. But, please try to keep the instructions at their most basic level, since I'm a noob.

Thanks so much in advance!

MuchoBrento

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Hi MuchoBrento,

This macro will do the job:

Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Dim rngCell As Range
    Dim rngRange1 As Range
    Dim rngRange2 As Range

Set rngRange1 = Range("A2:A" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row) 'Sets the first list from Row 2 in Col. A to the last Row in Col. A. Change to suit.
    Set rngRange2 = Range("B2:B" & Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row) 'Sets the second list from Row 2 in Col. B to the last Row in Col. B. Change to suit.

Application.ScreenUpdating = False 'Turn screen updating off

For Each rngCell In rngRange1 'Loop through first range putting each no match to the second range to Col. C. Change to suit.
        If Evaluate("COUNTIF(" & rngRange2.Address & "," & rngCell.Address & ")") = 0 Then
            Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Value = rngCell.Value
        End If
    Next rngCell

For Each rngCell In rngRange2 'Loop through second range putting each no match to the first range to Col. C. Change to suit.
        If Evaluate("COUNTIF(" & rngRange1.Address & "," & rngCell.Address & ")") = 0 Then
            Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Value = rngCell.Value
        End If
    Next rngCell

Set rngCell = Nothing
    Set rngRange1 = Nothing
    Set rngRange2 = Nothing

Application.ScreenUpdating = True 'Turn screen updating back on

End Sub

I've made notes along the way to try and explain what's happening. Post back re how it goes.

Regards,

Robert

Upvote 0
Robert-

Thanks so much for the reply! I tried to run the macro, but ran into a problem. In my test, I had 860 entries in Column A, and I had 1,050 entries in Column B. After running the macro (which I'm not really even sure if I did it correctly), in Column C it ended up with 1,704 entries. If it works the way that I imagined it, even if every item in Column B were unique, then Column C should have at most the same number of entries as Column B. Does that make sense?

Oh, and after running the test, I realized that that there is adjacent data related to Column B that needs to "stay" with the data when it is added to Column C. For example:

• Column A has 2,500 entries
  • Column B has 2,700 entries, along with 2 additional columns of related data in Column C & D
  • (after the macro is run) Column E has 200 entries extracted from List B that are not present in List A, AND the data from Column C & D is now in Column F & G.

Thoughts?

MuchoBrento

Upvote 0
Hi there,

It worked for me albeit only on a small test dataset.

Thoughts?

Perhaps do what the macro is doing which is to use the COUNTIF function and where the result is zero from list 1 to list 2 put that value in column C. This is then repeated for list2 to list1 which maybe incorrect logic. I may have to see your workbook to provide an answer.

Robert

Upvote 0
It's late in Oz now but try this and I'll check in tomorrow morning to check how it went:

Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Const lngStartRow As Long = 2 'Starting row for the data. Change to suit.

Dim lngEndRow As Long
    Dim rngCell As Range
    Dim rngMyRange As Range
    Dim strOutputCol As String
    Dim lngMyCounter As Long

lngEndRow = Range("A:B").Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
    Set rngMyRange = Range("A" & lngStartRow & ":B" & lngEndRow)
    strOutputCol = "E" 'Column for output. Change to suit.

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'Clear any existing entries from previous runs
    If Cells(Rows.Count, strOutputCol).End(xlUp).Row >= lngStartRow Then
        Range(strOutputCol & lngStartRow & ":" & strOutputCol & Cells(Rows.Count, strOutputCol).End(xlUp).Row).ClearContents
    End If

For Each rngCell In rngMyRange
        If Evaluate("COUNTIF(" & rngMyRange.Address & "," & rngCell.Address & ")") = 1 Then
            lngMyCounter = lngMyCounter + 1
            If lngMyCounter = 1 Then
                Range(strOutputCol & lngStartRow).Value = rngCell.Value
            Else
                Range(strOutputCol & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Value = rngCell.Value
            End If
        End If
    Next rngCell

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Regards,

Robert

Upvote 0
Hey Robert.

I'm still not able to get a list of just unique items. When I run the macro, it still has the same problem. Additionally, the results didn't post the adjacent info into Columns F & G that was supposed to "stay" with the data posted to Column E.

It can be tough to figure these things out remotely. I made a screencast of what I'm seeing from my end. Maybe it'll help. Here's the link: https://www.screenr.com/1SQN

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Do columns A and B have duplicates in their own column or is the data in each of these likely to be unique?

Try this, it's not especially efficient but I think it does the job:
Rich (BB code):
Option Explicit
Sub test()

Dim list1, list2, Key
    Dim x As Long, y As Long
    Dim dic1 As Object, dic2 As Object, outp As Object

Set dic1 = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
    Set dic2 = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
    Set outp = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")

list1 = Range("A2:A10001").Value2 'Change to the actual Range
    list2 = Range("B2:B86006").Value2 'Change to the actual Range

For x = LBound(list1) To UBound(list1)
        If Not dic1.exists(list1(x, 1)) Then
            dic1.Add list1(x, 1), Nothing
        End If
    Next x

For x = LBound(list2) To UBound(list2)
        If Not dic2.exists(list2(x, 1)) Then
            dic2.Add list2(x, 1), Nothing
        End If
    Next x

For Each Key In dic1
        If Not dic2.exists(Key) Then outp.Add Key, Nothing
    Next Key

For Each Key In dic2
        If Not dic1.exists(Key) Then outp.Add Key, Nothing
    Next Key

Range("C2").Resize(outp.Count, 1).Value = Application.Transpose(outp.keys())

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK - as well as Kyle123's nifty solution try this:

Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro3()

Const lngStartRow As Long = 2 'Starting row for the data. Change to suit.

Dim lngEndRow As Long
    Dim lngMyRow As Long

lngEndRow = Range("A:B").Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'Clear any existing entries from previous runs
    If Cells(Rows.Count, "E").End(xlUp).Row >= lngStartRow Then
        Range("E2:E" & Cells(Rows.Count, "E").End(xlUp).Row).ClearContents
    End If

For lngMyRow = lngStartRow To lngEndRow
        If Len(Range("A" & lngMyRow)) > 0 Then
            If IsError(Evaluate("VLOOKUP(A" & lngMyRow & ",$B$" & lngStartRow & ":$B$" & lngEndRow & ",1,FALSE)")) = True Then
                With Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
                    .Font.Color = RGB(0, 0, 255) 'Blue font to show those values from column A not in column B. Change to suit.
                    .Value = Range("A" & lngMyRow)
                End With
            End If
        End If
        If Len(Range("B" & lngMyRow)) > 0 Then
            If IsError(Evaluate("VLOOKUP(B" & lngMyRow & ",$A$" & lngStartRow & ":$A$" & lngEndRow & ",1,FALSE)")) = True Then
                With Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
                    .Font.Color = RGB(255, 0, 0) 'Red font to show those values from column B not in column A. Change to suit.
                    .Value = Range("B" & lngMyRow)
                End With
            End If
        End If
    Next lngMyRow

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

MsgBox "All non matching entries between columns A and B have now been outputted to column E.", vbInformation

End Sub

Note the different font colours as a reference to show which column (A or B) each item in column E has come from.

If this is still not right I will need your workbook with a before and after scenario in it. If can have that I'm fairly sure I'll be able to provide a solution.

Regards,

Robert

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back