Complex search wilth multiple criteria over multiple columns - return value from another column where the data matches ... ?

jonsharman

Hi,

I’m hoping that I might be able to get some advice with a complex search and return query in Excel that has stumped my thought process over the past couple of days. I’ll give some background to the problem I trying to resolve so as to add some context to the required solution. An out-dated car manufacturing system produces a report of stock at a number of dealers including things such as model, colour, upholstery, options and price etc. However the reports are two separate downloads and only display limited information about the specification – for example the options fitted to the car are one long string of text and just show a three digit code of which there are over 1,000 different choices. Neither report are really helpful for those people who would need to search for a car – first of all they would need to know the codes of the options or packs that the customer would be looking for and, secondly, the options are not always in the same order so a simple auto-filter doesn’t work.

I have written some code to split out the codes for the packs and options and used Macro to copy across the individual vehicle order numbers then INDEX MATCH to tie the data on the two separate reports together. This sheet also looks up the name of the Packs / Options and consolidates this into one more-useable list with the actual description of the Packs / Options from one master list.

Now the tricky part is creating a page that has the ability to search for certain Packs and / or Options within each of the model ranges and return order numbers that contain the Packs / Options that the user has selected. There are some considerations:
· The packages and options are not always located in the same column and may appear in one of four columns for Packs and one of twenty-five columns for Options.
· Each vehicle may have further options or packs that the user is not necessarily searching for but would still want to see as this may be a suitable alternative for the customer.
· Some order types need to be excluded from the search results as these are already sold orders or have been allocated for specific uses and are therefore not available for sale.

I have attached the workbook to the post so you can see how the data is presented.

I’m not sure how best to approach this – is it a complex array formula with multiple criteria to return the order numbers though this may slow the workbook down? Is it best to use a Pivot Table or a Slicer to chop up the data I want to find? Or is a Macro a more efficient tool to avoid the workbook being slow?Hi,

I’m hoping that I might be able to get some advice with a complex search and return query in Excel that has stumped my thought process over the past couple of days. I’ll give some background to the problem I trying to resolve so as to add some context to the required solution. An out-dated car manufacturing system produces a report of stock at a number of dealers including things such as model, colour, upholstery, options and price etc. However the reports are two separate downloads and only display limited information about the specification – for example the options fitted to the car are one long string of text and just show a three digit code of which there are over 1,000 different choices. Neither report are really helpful for those people who would need to search for a car – first of all they would need to know the codes of the options or packs that the customer would be looking for and, secondly, the options are not always in the same order so a simple auto-filter doesn’t work.

I have written some code to split out the codes for the packs and options and used Macro to copy across the individual vehicle order numbers then INDEX MATCH to tie the data on the two separate reports together. This sheet also looks up the name of the Packs / Options and consolidates this into one more-useable list with the actual description of the Packs / Options from one master list.

Now the tricky part is creating a page that has the ability to search for certain Packs and / or Options within each of the model ranges and return order numbers that contain the Packs / Options that the user has selected. There are some considerations:
· The packages and options are not always located in the same column and may appear in one of four columns for Packs and one of twenty-five columns for Options.
· Each vehicle may have further options or packs that the user is not necessarily searching for but would still want to see as this may be a suitable alternative for the customer.
· Some order types need to be excluded from the search results as these are already sold orders or have been allocated for specific uses and are therefore not available for sale.

I’m not sure how best to approach this – is it a complex array formula with multiple criteria to return the order numbers though this may slow the workbook down? Is it best to use a Pivot Table or a Slicer to chop up the data I want to find? Or is a Macro a more efficient tool to avoid the workbook being slow?

Order NumberModel TypeDescriptionOrder TypeFinancial StatusColourUpholsteryTransmissionList PriceCO2 ValueRFL CostOTRPackage1Package2Package3Package4Option1Option2Option3Option4Option5Option6Option7Option8Option9Option10Option11Option12Option13Option14Option15Option16Option17Option18Option19Option20Option21Option22Option23Option24Option25
3604955MINI (R61)R61 JCWOSPAbsolute BlackLeather Gravity-Carbon BlackMANUAL £ 28,416.67169 £ 300.00 £ 34,975.00Media Pack XLChili Pack Run-flat tyres19" Cross Spoke Crusher Black Light Alloy WheelsRoof and mirror caps in RedSports stripes in RedSeat heating for driver and front passengerInlay Colour Line - Carbon Black
3685809MINI (R61)R61 SD ALL4OSPMidnight GreyCloth/leather Hot Cross Carbon BlackAUTOMATIC £ 25,633.33161 £ 185.00 £ 31,520.00John Cooper Works Chili Pack Automatic transmissionRun-flat tyresFolding exterior mirrorsRoof and mirror caps in blackInlay Colour Line - Carbon BlackHarman Kardon® Hi-Fi systemVisual Boost Radio
3686844MINI (F54) ClubmanF54 Cooper SOSPChili RedCloth/leather combination Cord Carbon BlAUTOMATIC £ 27,216.67137 £ 130.00 £ 33,365.00John Cooper Works Chili PackMedia Pack XL Run-flat tyresSport automatic transmissionBonnet stripes in blackHeated front windscreenRoof and mirror caps in blackRoof railsPanoramic electric glass sunroofDarkened rear glassSeat adjustment, electric, with memoryThrough-loading systemSeat heating for driver and front passengerInterior Surfaces - Piano BlackRain sensor and automatic headlight activationCruise control with brake functionMINI Head-up DisplayMINI ConnectedMINI Connected XL

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="5"><col><col><col><col><col><col span="2"><col span="2"><col><col span="6"><col><col span="2"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="4"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Hello,

This does seem like a complex situation. The only unique identifier is the Order Number that you can return different results from. If I may suggest keeping your questions shorter and to the point. This might get better responses.

Good luck with your project,
BRS

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back