Compose a Range reference from Address() function

rxp409

Hi I might be going about this the wrong way but here goes.

I have a column of dates in A as the first column in a larger table of data. I have a summary of the data in a separate table which feeds into a chart. For example =PERCENTILE(D16:D6855,0.9). I want to set a start and end date by entering these dates in other cells. So when i change the start date cell D16 then changes to the relevant row in column D.

Assume this start date is entered in a cell named start, and the column of dates has been renamed dates. I have got as far as =ADDRESS(MATCH(start, dates,1),4) which returns the relevant cell ... but as a text string.

So when i enter =PERCENTILE(ADDRESS(MATCH(start, dates,1),4):D6855,0.9) it has a problem. My question is

1. How do i translate this text output from ADDRESS() into something which i can use as a ref in percentile.
2. When i've done that, to select a range with the end date can i still just place : between them?
ADDRESS(start...) : ADDRESS (end...)

If this has been asked and answered before please redirect, as i haven't been able to find anything, nor even know what to search for! Any help much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
I think the function that you are looking for is INDIRECT.
as in PERCENTILE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH(start, dates,1),4) & ":D6855"),0.9)

There is one problem with INDIRECT, it is volatile, i.e. every time any cell is changed the formula recalculates. This can slow a worksheet. You could use a non-volatile formulation

=PERCENTILE(INDEX($D:$D, MATCH(start, dates,1) :INDEX($D:$D, MATCH(end, dates,1), 1), 0.9)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeti1016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back